Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing golf in East Cork

Options
  • 08-02-2015 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

OK, so I'll try as best I can to not make this sound like a lonely hearts ad!!

Moved to the East Cork area from England early in 2014, now the weather is starting to get a little better (kind of) I'd like to get back into playing golf. Played to a fairly decent standard when I was younger, but not really played for 10 years or so. I've been around Waterrock near midleton a few times but gets a bit tedious playing on your tod. Going by those few games I have played at waterrock, I guess I would probably be playing off a handicap of 14 or so these days! I'm 34, fairly new to the area, not a member of a club, and don't know any other golfers. Thought I'd try this to see if anyone would be interested in a game or two, maybe at waterrock, but anywhere in east cork really. So if anyone fancies a game, or knows of a group that already play, either once a week, or maybe even a couple of times a month, and don't mind someone else joining them then let me know

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Waterrock are opening for membership this year. So they will be having competitions so you'd be able to play with people in this. You'd probably get to know a few regulars this way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Best thing to do I think is join a club and just make sure they use the BRS online booking system. Then just put your name down on the sheet wherever there's a space. You'll meet loads of new people and it's completely normal to use the system this way. In our club I'd say about half the timesheet is made up of random people playing together.

Cobh, East Cork and maybe Youghal or Mithelstown depending on where exactly up you are all within range and won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jceastcork

Thanks for the feedback lads. I'm in midleton so the courses mentioned would be the best options I'm sure, will have to give them all a bash to see if any are worth joining. Unfortunately not in a position to join a club at the moment, hopefully later this year or early next, and depending on membership intake. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Mitchelstown do open singles every weekend and the green fee is only 20 euro anyway. They do online booking and out in threeballs so you would keep matched up no problem if you played there.
    I would imagine without a membership, it would be difficult to team up with people as you would be looking to play outside of member and/or open competition times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

jceastcork wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback lads. I'm in midleton so the courses mentioned would be the best options I'm sure, will have to give them all a bash to see if any are worth joining. Unfortunately not in a position to join a club at the moment, hopefully later this year or early next, and depending on membership intake. Thanks again.

could do distance membership then travel to various opens near you? distance membership should be significantly cheaper than full membership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

slingerz wrote: »
    could do distance membership then travel to various opens near you? distance membership should be significantly cheaper than full membership

Watch out for the new requirement to play 3 comps in home course before you can play opens.
    Not sure if they changed it to be previous year or previous and current.
    If former you can't play opens till next year

Thanks all, Not thought of the distance membership thing before, and Mitchelstown is a name that keeps cropping up so I will certainly look into those options. Regards the last post, I think it was a similar thing in the UK, in that you had to be a member of a club, have an official handicap, and have played in a certain amount of comps on your home course before being allowed to play in opens, so might be an option further down the line but will look into it.

Just looking for a few casual rounds at the moment really, I will certainly be looking to join a club in the next year or 2, but will look into all the options mentioned and will see which is the best for the moment. Cheers lads

Has anyone joined Waterrock or know anyone who has?

I'm wondering how it's going and what way they organise competitions

What about East Cork GC in Midleton that could be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

aster99 wrote: »
    Has anyone joined Waterrock or know anyone who has?

I'm wondering how it's going and what way they organise competitions

I'm also curious to know how this is going. They have nothing on their website/facebook/twitter about how the "club" element is going so I'd be skeptical about it. In theory it sounds like a good option for someone who can't commit to large fees and wants to play maybe 15/20 rounds a year but the lack of detail on their website is a bad sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

OK, so I'll try as best I can to not make this sound like a lonely hearts ad!!

Moved to the East Cork area from England early in 2014, now the weather is starting to get a little better (kind of) I'd like to get back into playing golf. Played to a fairly decent standard when I was younger, but not really played for 10 years or so. I've been around Waterrock near midleton a few times but gets a bit tedious playing on your tod. Going by those few games I have played at waterrock, I guess I would probably be playing off a handicap of 14 or so these days! I'm 34, fairly new to the area, not a member of a club, and don't know any other golfers. Thought I'd try this to see if anyone would be interested in a game or two, maybe at waterrock, but anywhere in east cork really. So if anyone fancies a game, or knows of a group that already play, either once a week, or maybe even a couple of times a month, and don't mind someone else joining them then let me know

Cheers

You can pm for details of club and society.

MrRight1 wrote: »
    I'm also curious to know how this is going. They have nothing on their website/facebook/twitter about how the "club" element is going so I'd be skeptical about it. In theory it sounds like a good option for someone who can't commit to large fees and wants to play maybe 15/20 rounds a year but the lack of detail on their website is a bad sign.

Would love to know more about how the warerrock membership is going too as I'm also a little skeptical about the lack of info. I'll be looking to join somewhere this year, and given my location (Midleton), either warerrock or east cork GC would be the best option. Does anyone know much about the east cork GC? I've heard it's a friendly club, but the course itself does look a little like playing up and down in a flat field. Now I've not actually played it yet, but hope to over the next few weeks to see whether it's worth joining. But if anyone knows anymore about it then would love to know what you think of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

East cork isn't a bad spot in all fairness , the course itself is average enough , having said that everyone is friendly and happy to see you but if you were thinking of joining a club locally id advise Cobh . Its a great course that will only get better as it matures. (Im not a member btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

id advise Cobh . Its a great course that will only get better as it matures. (Im not a member btw)

I really dislike Cobh. Just can't play it.

played east cork recently. If your long and straight its straightforward. the greens there are small and very hard to hold a ball on them you often need to run the ball in there after landing and running out on the fairway as well i think

I found Cobh very open and exposed. I've only played it once on a very windy day so that may have clouded my judgement

Hi, I was a member of a golf club in the East Cork area for the last year, however due to work and other commitments I didn't get to play anywhere near enough to justify renewing my membership again for this year. I thought I'd give this another go to see if there is anyone in the East Cork area in a similar situation, that likes to play a bit of golf, have a bit of a laugh, but not really be in a situation to be able to play every week, or justify paying the full whack of golf membership at this point in time.

East Cork GC, Waterrock, Castlemartyr, or Cobh would be easily accessible for me, but willing to travel...within reason. A lot of clubs do have some good rates on green fees, especially during evenings. If there was a bit of interest we could maybe get a little local society type thing going, or just play a few rounds.

PM or reply to this thread if you have any interest. Thanks

Hi, I was a member of a golf club in the East Cork area for the last year, however due to work and other commitments I didn't get to play anywhere near enough to justify renewing my membership again for this year. I thought I'd give this another go to see if there is anyone in the East Cork area in a similar situation, that likes to play a bit of golf, have a bit of a laugh, but not really be in a situation to be able to play every week, or justify paying the full whack of golf membership at this point in time.

East Cork GC, Waterrock, Castlemartyr, or Cobh would be easily accessible for me, but willing to travel...within reason. A lot of clubs do have some good rates on green fees, especially during evenings. If there was a bit of interest we could maybe get a little local society type thing going, or just play a few rounds.

PM or reply to this thread if you have any interest. Thanks

I am similar to you in this regard but laid up at the moment. I am a member of a club or at least i was until i got injured before Xmas. I was thinking of partaking in the boards society but while there are some fantastic courses on their list, the travelling from Cork is too excessive for my taste and i would hate to be going to the marquee courses and skipping others etc.

I would like to become part of a society and get around to different courses in Cork. I would recommend given Mahon a go on your green fee tour as well as it is a really nice course

Thanks Slingerz, I've not tried Mahon before, might be worth a go. I had a quick look at their website, they seem to do some very good deals!

Let me know when you're back in action again and we will try to get something going around Cork. Hope the recovery goes well

Advertisement