Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North West 200 2015 newbie in a camper

Options
  • 08-02-2015 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am thinking about doing a trip to the North West 200 in a camper van (southern reg if it makes a difference) from maybe Wednesday or Thursday to Sunday or Monday. Never been before. Looking for advice on campsites and any other tips.

The official campsite are charging from £260-£350, I think flat rate for the week or part of and there seem to be only a handful of pitches.... which makes me think there must be other bigger campsites nearby. Would like to try and avoid the boy racers doing donuts in the early hours but hey...

Somewhere 30-40 minute walk from a viewing area and a pub would do :-) Or maybe I am better off shelling out on the official camp site "inside" the circuit.

Any advice and tips on this trip appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

i stayed in one a few years back called Skerries Campsite in Portrush, was a grand spot, , i also stayed in the one at Mathers Cross which is just a field, not recommended , it was full of pissheads,

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Thanks Lawman.

FYI the Skerries campsite is charging £160 fixed charge for a pitch 10-17 May, I only wanted 2 nights but that's what it is.

Now the conundrum, is it worth paying the extra £100 to be on the official (but not permanent) campsite, right in the middle of the action or go for the better facilities of a full time site? I read somewhere that it is a pleasant stroll from Skerries to the racing. I will be splitting the costs with my son (which means I will get the money...... sometime!!)

Appreciate any views or info. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

i wouldn't pay that for a campsite, its just a rip off, the best campsite on the isle of man charges £8 a night during the TT, i would look at staying a bit further away, i once stayed in a hotel in Cookstown and rode my bike up from there on race day, there is a bus leaving dublin for €50 return,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cant wait for the racing to start back again.......get the best of both worlds when you do marshal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Cant wait for the racing to start back again.......get the best of both worlds when you do the marshal.

Durty! :P

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Durty! :P

They are not all MALE you know!!!! Even if it was a typo lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭nemoisback66

I go to the Northwest every year and the past few years we have stayed at Tullans Farm Caravan Park. Its close to the magic roundabout (5 mins on the bike) and his rates are pretty cheap. They also have good facilities incl showers.

In fairness lads the Armoy Road Races are brilliant aswell, Top class circuit and very well run. Its actually my favorite event that and the Ulster. So if you cant make this the other 2 are brilliant also.

Yes you might miss one or two big names that attend the NW but there alot of hob nobbery that goes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭nemoisback66

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness lads the Armoy Road Races are brilliant aswell, Top class circuit and very well run. Its actually my favorite event that and the Ulster. So if you cant make this the other 2 are brilliant also.

Yes you might miss one or two big names that attend the NW but there alot of hob nobbery that goes with that.

I agree 100% with this. The smaller events are better run and have better racing to be honest. The Northwest struggles to hold a 5/6 race schedule whereas the Cookstown 100 etc can get through anything up to 15 races in a day. The Ulster and Mid Antrim are probably my 2 favorite events of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I go to the Northwest every year and the past few years we have stayed at Tullans Farm Caravan Park. Its close to the magic roundabout (5 mins on the bike) and his rates are pretty cheap. They also have good facilities incl showers.

This is getting closer to the mark, £72 for three nights for camper. Thing is I we'll need public transport or taxi to racing so that's a trade off.... "5 mins on the bike"
    could = long walk :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Nearly there now, think i have enough km's done :o. Forecast looking ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I know its an old thread, but its the same thing more or less.

Is there anywhere you can park on the road where you can see the bikes going past. I dont mean on the actual route, but literally just next to it. Im not interested in paying for any camp sites at all,. never do. I have batteries and solar so don't need any services.

Is it possible to just park in a side street somewhere around the route?

I have never been before so dont have a clue what to expect.

Advertisement