Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boring front door

Options
  • 08-02-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

So my front door is pretty boring and it's starting to annoy me. It needs to be painted and it sticks a bit and the frame is loose at the top, so I'm going to patch it up rather than replace it which will cost at least a grand.

It's pretty ugly and boring though so I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done to brighten it up? I was thinking of painting it a different colour but the windows are a light oak colour, so it would have to match the windows. Would painting it a deep red or some other colour clash with the windows? Any other ideas or things I could do to brighten it all up and make it less boring?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MisseyB

There is no law to saw your front door has to match the colour of your window frames so if you'd like to jazz it up i'd say go for it.

When we were deciding on a colour for our own front door i looked at every front door i past and made a decision based on that. Personally i like murky colours, i.e. petrol blue, sage green, etc. so we opted for a grey blue. In my opinion primary colours can sometimes be hard to take in our harsh Irish light but it's really up to you. What's your favourite colour? Something that will make you smile when you arrive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Thanks, recently I've been loooking at every door I pass as well. My favourite colour is probably blue. I was thinking of a deep red but really don't know it it would work with the light oak windows. Maybe some kind of blue could work also - don't suppose you have a pic of your grey blue door?

I don't but will upload one when i get a chance.

You might also want to think about whether to go for gloss, satin or matt paint for your door. I got fabulous Sikkens satin paint from Dulux. Cost me a fortune but you need very little. After i bought my paint i found out that Fleetwood do a satin paint for exterior wood for a fraction of the cost so check that out.

E

Hi there
    Here is a photo of our front door.

blue-front-door.jpg?w=774

I think the fact that your door has a lot of glazing would allow you to go for a stronger / deeper colour if you'd like.

You can see the before and after photos here.
    https://designa2z.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/new-front-door/

E

• Registered Users Posts: 28 oxomoxo

Whats the colour of that door again Misseyb. It looks great

• Advertisement

Thanks oxomoxo. It's Ral colour 5014 Pigeon Blue. I did have a greyer blue in mind but the Sikkens paint only comes in RAL colours and this was the closest match i could get. I'm happy with the final result so it's all good in the end.

E

MisseyB wrote: »
    Hi there
    Here is a photo of our front door.

blue-front-door.jpg?w=774

I think the fact that your door has a lot of glazing would allow you to go for a stronger / deeper colour if you'd like.

You can see the before and after photos here.
    https://designa2z.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/new-front-door/

E

Many thanks MisseyB that's really nice. I might try for that or something a little darker if it would match the windows.

If you have any ideas for some other feature or design I could add to the door surround I'm all ears. It's just flat and bland with no features at all. I like the pots and plants you have on either side also, maybe that would work for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KFiddles

If you wanted to go really crazy, why not put in double doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

339680.jpg

any use for visualisation purposes? Under the window part of the walls coloured different might be interesting maybe? - I've done it a slightly pale green -for a bit of colour?

“Roll it back”

Did you edit the original photo? If so well done. It's really helps to illustrate the proposal.

I'd go for a darker blue personally, just because i think darker blue looks more sophisticated. If you're going with a strong blue i wouldn't ge inclined to paint under the window. I think it will compete with the blue door. That said if you're heart is set on painting it i think a french grey - pale blue grey - would work best.

E

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »

any use for visualisation purposes? Under the window part of the walls coloured different might be interesting maybe? - I've done it a slightly pale green -for a bit of colour?

Hi ozmo that's pretty slick thanks - did you use photoshop or something else?

Like MisseyB I'd also be inclined to go for a darker blue - any chance you could mock that up? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ok - getting a slightly bigger job here - but if you could stretch to widening the path - tiles maybe or something - it would make a huge difference and you would have somewhere to put those plant pots you mentioned....

339942.jpg

“Roll it back”

Advertisement