Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation Options - what to do...

Options
  • 08-02-2015 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

So for the past few years I've been renting and working in South Dublin and all's been well. I got a very good deal on the apartment I'm in and it's 10 mins from work so win-win.

But, not entirely unexpectedly, the landlord is looking to increase the rent significantly for this year. It's still a good deal in comparison to "normal" rents and I can afford it, but I don't see the value in paying a fair bit more for what is really, just a place that's close to work (I have no ties, friends or anything else in the area)

I also have a son in Cork that I don't get to see enough as it is and I spend a fair bit in travelling down every month plus the time involved. On the plus side my job/position allows me to more-or-less make my own hours with the ability to work from home if I wanted.

So I've been thinking about my options - hence this thread :)

1. Pay the increased rent but get no other benefit for it (in the context of the above)

2. Move. Sharing is not a runner as I'm almost 40 and like my peace and quiet and freedom to do what I want in the evenings. Plus if I wanted to keep costs in the same bracket I'd be looking at moving to somewhere like Athy. No issue with the commute (I enjoy driving) and it would have me closer to Cork I suppose

3. Possibly the wildest idea :p Rent a place in Cork, live in a B&B/hotel in Dublin (I can avail of corporate rates) during the week and work from home/Cork one of the days. Would cost a bit more yes but still doable and the benefit would be that I get more time with the little fella. I'm already doing the drive down/up several times a month anyway.

4. Move to Cork. I've considered it, but jobs aren't as plentiful down there at my level and I'm not moving to go on the dole. Still keeping an eye out though

So, what do ye think? Any other options I haven't considered? :)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

it's hard to say if one is not really in this situation, but from my point of view it's option 3.
    I really don't like paying rent over the top and handing my hard earned money to probably some already loaded landlord.

You might pay a bit more as you say for the stay in a b&B/corporate rate for a hotel and pay rent for a room in cork, but there's the benefit for you to see your son more often.
    you have the same amount of driving to do, you just leave a day earlier.
    you can keep your well paid job in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Cork and b&b if you can afford it.

Rent increases are sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My immediate feeling would be option 3 if you can make it work. I know someone who does something similar in the UK and it works very well for him. He stays in a Travelodge mon, tues, wed night, goes home Thursday evening after work and works from home Friday's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Is there an option of buying a place in Cork? You have ties there for some considerable time, so it would make sense to buy, rent one of the bedrooms out under the rent a room scheme, b&b in Dublin, whilst keeping a sharp eye on the job market in Cork.

Advertisement