Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment

Options
  • 08-02-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I viewed a property in November and decided to proceed with it. I paid the deposit and 1 month up front, signed the contract which included all furniture and in the event it didn't- furniture to the same standard would be purchased.

Thursday I rang to see where I would be collecting the keys from only to find out the new landlord and existing tenants were bickering over furniture. From what I understood, the land lord had already agreed to buy it all. The start date on my contract was for the 8th and the letting agent tried to push me out to the 9th which I couldn't do.
    The previous tenant has advised today that the land lord only bought bed frames and not mattresses.

So we are moving in today- collecting keys from previous tenants who are in there cleaning.

I have a few questions-
    what about inventory? We are moving in and had no inventory done nor professional cleaning.

Should we take pictures and do our own inventory?

Will the letting agent provide new mattresses?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Take pictures of everything and do up an inventory that way - provide it to the agency saying this is what was present in the apartment when I moved in, please make this part of my lease agreement.

You can ask the agency to provide mattresses, but as per the minimum standards there is no obligation to provide beds.
    Details of minimum standards

For each apartment, flat or house being rented as a separate unit, the landlord must ensure that the rental property is in a proper state of structural repair. The Regulations require the landlord to maintain the property in a sound state, inside and out. They specify that roofs, roofing tiles, slates, windows, floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, skirting boards, fascias, tiles on any floor, ceiling and wall, gutters, down pipes, fittings, furnishings, gardens and common areas must be maintained in good condition and repair. They must not be defective due to dampness or otherwise.

The landlord must ensure that electricity or gas supplies are safe and in good repair, and that every room has adequate ventilation and both natural and artificial lighting.

The landlord must provide:

A sink with hot and cold water
    A separate room, for the exclusive use of each rented unit, with a toilet, a washbasin and a fixed bath or shower with hot and cold water
    A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control
    Facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food, for example, a 4-ring hob with oven and grill, fridge-freezer and microwave oven
    Access to a washing machine
    Access to a clothes-dryer if the rented unit does not have a private garden or yard
    A fire blanket and smoke alarms
    Access to vermin-proof and pest-proof refuse storage facilities
    In multi-unit buildings, the landlord must provide each unit with a mains-wired smoke alarm; a fire blanket; and an emergency evacuation plan. There must also be emergency lighting in common areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Take pictures of everything and do up an inventory that way - provide it to the agency saying this is what was present in the apartment when I moved in, please make this part of my lease agreement.

You can ask the agency to provide mattresses, but as per the minimum standards there is no obligation to provide beds.

Thanks for that. My lease agreement says it is to be furnished with all furniture currently there or to a very similar standard, would mattresses fall under this as they were there when I viewed it?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Misticles wrote: »
    Thanks for that. My lease agreement says it is to be furnished with all furniture currently there or to a very similar standard, would mattresses fall under this as they were there when I viewed it?

Ring the agency and ask them - noone here will be able to tell you otherwise as the contract is between you and the agency/landlord.
    One thing to consider though is that they may buy the cheapest piece of crap imaginable for you, you might be better off buying your own comfortable mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take a video of the general condition and then photos of individual problems. Try to include the former tenants.

Make sure the date on the camera is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Misticles wrote: »
    Hi,

I viewed a property in November and decided to proceed with it. I paid the deposit and 1 month up front, signed the contract which included all furniture and in the event it didn't- furniture to the same standard would be purchased.

Thursday I rang to see where I would be collecting the keys from only to find out the new landlord and existing tenants were bickering over furniture. From what I understood, the land lord had already agreed to buy it all. The start date on my contract was for the 8th and the letting agent tried to push me out to the 9th which I couldn't do.
    The previous tenant has advised today that the land lord only bought bed frames and not mattresses.

So we are moving in today- collecting keys from previous tenants who are in there cleaning.

I have a few questions-
    what about inventory? We are moving in and had no inventory done nor professional cleaning.

Should we take pictures and do our own inventory?

Will the letting agent provide new mattresses?

Thanks in advance

Bad idea, let the tenants move out and give the keys to the landlord and then collect them from him.
    Tbh the landlord should have the place cleaned by himself or professional cleaners. He should also touch up anything that needs attention. E.g tightening screws on table, wardrobes etc. Change out faulty light bulbs.

With regards the furniture that depends on the lease. As a tenant you should really provide your own bed and mattress. Do you really want to sleep in a one else's piss filled bed? Also a landlord will get a cheap mattress, your better off getting a good quality one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also take photos of utility meters, and get the accounts switched into your name based on the readings you take at move-in.

Personally I would insist on the LL or their representative being there to inspect the property at key-handover.

ted1 wrote: »
    Do you really want to sleep in a one else's piss filled bed? Also a landlord will get a cheap mattress, your better off getting a good quality one

It would be very rare for a tenant to provide their own bed or mattress. I've certainly never done it or saw anyone I know renting to do it. This is especially the case in a house share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We have our own bed and mattress. The mattresses were new when we moved in, but so hard we were waking up with bruises! So we asked the LL if we could bring our own bed which was a wedding present - He agreed!

I'd purchase the mattress, and tell the agent so when you hand over your own inventory.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It would be very rare for a tenant to provide their own bed or mattress. I've certainly never done it or saw anyone I know renting to do it. This is especially the case in a house share.

50% of my tenants have had their own and requested that I take away the existing one. Considering that you spend 33% of the day in bed and require a goid nights sleep to function I highly recommend that people invest in a good quality bed and mattress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Victor wrote: »
    Make sure the date on the camera is correct.

That alone isn't worth much, you can put any date on a camera. You need something in the picture that proves the latest possible date it could have been taken eg. a newspaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement