Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The law on using Michael Collins pictures?

Options
  • 07-02-2015 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello, Would anyone know what is the law in regards to using Michael Collins pictures? There is a lot of his pictures available, but I don't know if you need to pay for them if they are being used for commercial use.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This should be covered in copyright law. This covers the individual who took an image and that of Mr. Collins' family. The term limits for such is 70 years from the death of the author (from I think the EU Directive on such).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarah achill

Thank you very much for your response. If I wanted to use one of his pictures, how would I go about that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Again this is not legal advice but AFAIR, if the image is out of copyright then on can freely use.
    If it is in copyright (say if using a picture that has been digitally enchanced/cleaned up) then it would be a person to contact the right's holder for permission. However, if a person is using for certain purpose (private study, review, education etc.) then this falls under an EU exceptions as per the EU Information Society directive.
    Personally I'd do a search on Flicker and check for any pictures with a creative commons licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

try looking through the national Archive on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/

It is a flickr account set up by the national Archive and a lot of the photos have no copyright restrictions. there is only one of dev but maybe there is one of michael collins floating about there.

otherwise as someone said if there is a picture of collins that you want to use then you need tocontact the owner and ask about licencing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Protect his picture under copyright and the same for other leaders of Ireland from 1913- 1924. Last thing we want is the media portraying them in a mocking manner like they do other historical figures that are not protected. Current politicians can be photoshopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Protect his picture under copyright and the same for other leaders of Ireland from 1913- 1924. Last thing we want is the media portraying them in a mocking manner like they do other historical figures that are not protected. Current politicians can be photoshopped.

Parody is an accepted use for copyrighted material.

Advertisement