Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hands move clockwise by turning the crown anti clockwise

Options
  • 07-02-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

This new watch I got. It's got a seagull automatic movement. I just realised, that in order to set the time forwards I need to turn the crown anti clockwise.

Is this a defect or nothing to be concerned over?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nada to be concerned about MM. It varies with the movement type. I've some like yours.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Thanks for that. This is the first mechanical watch I've had that advances time by turning the crown anti clockwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

mad muffin wrote: »
    Thanks for that. This is the first mechanical watch I've had that advances time by turning the crown anti clockwise.

My ETAs and my Rolex all work that way, think maybe the Orient you turn clockwise. Generally the ones I can wind seem to advance time by winding anti-clockwise and the ones I can't wind advance time by turning clockwise (This may be just chance or Europe vs Japan) I only have my Stowa and Steinhart in London with me so can't check the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

As it happens. I was looking at one if my other watches, a Bulova precisionist. It's a Quartz watch with a sweeping second hand. And it too does that. Didn't even realise this when I first got it last year.

Advertisement