Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot Financial Letter/Three

Options
  • 07-02-2015 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi guys, has anyone had any dealings with Cabot Financial? I haven't paid my Three phone bill in months as it was the worst service I have EVER had even though living in a big town. Constantly cutting calls or breaking up or failing. Meant to be living in a Three hotspot so every time I went anywhere rural at weekends I had no coverage whatsoever. After numerous phone calls & emails to Three I told them I wasn't paying for a service I wasn't receiving anymore & I think I had every right to do so. I had to get another phone with a different company which worked perfectly everywhere.

Now however they have referred me to Cabot Financial who are seeking to collect the debt from when I stopped paying (even though Three cut me off & I couldn't use my phone) until now.

I know with ComReg I can only be charged 2 months even within contract which I am until August this year if I cancel but Cabot are seeking payment totalling nearly €800. I don't know where they have pulled this figure from as I have just received a Three bill for just over €200.

Has anyone had any dealings with them? Will they bring me to court? Would really appreciate any help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

bunny24 wrote: »
    Hi guys, has anyone had any dealings with Cabot Financial? I haven't paid my Three phone bill in months as it was the worst service I have EVER had even though living in a big town. Constantly cutting calls or breaking up or failing. Meant to be living in a Three hotspot so every time I went anywhere rural at weekends I had no coverage whatsoever. After numerous phone calls & emails to Three I told them I wasn't paying for a service I wasn't receiving anymore & I think I had every right to do so. I had to get another phone with a different company which worked perfectly everywhere.

Now however they have referred me to Cabot Financial who are seeking to collect the debt from when I stopped paying (even though Three cut me off & I couldn't use my phone) until now.

I know with ComReg I can only be charged 2 months even within contract which I am until August this year if I cancel but Cabot are seeking payment totalling nearly €800. I don't know where they have pulled this figure from as I have just received a Three bill for just over €200.

Has anyone had any dealings with them? Will they bring me to court? Would really appreciate any help on this.

I was with O2 which are now owned by 3. I had a dispute with them and left owing them 87e. Cabot call me every now and then and I get a letter every few weeks. I just ignore them all, whatever crap they write in them is not legally binding. They cannot bring you to court and it won't affect your credit rating. Just scare tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you haven't officially cancelled the contract, then you are liable as the contract is still in effect.

Let's just be very clear here - you can be taken to court and judgement can be secured against you. If registered, this judgement can impact your ability to secure credit. It does not affect your ICB rating. There are a lot of 'ifs' there but it's theorectically possible.

If possible. deal only with Three in resolving this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Dont worry man, you will not be taken to court for 200 euro. Its just scaremongering. You do need to close the contract though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Did you ever make a formal complaint about the lack of service with 3/Comreg? I don't mean a phone call, but an actual letter of complaint?

Did you actually cease the service, or simply stop paying the bill?

In any case, I would deal with 3, and ignore Cabot as the debt is with them. Ask for a complete breakdown of the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bunny24 wrote: »
    I know with ComReg I can only be charged 2 months even within contract
    That's the first I've heard of this rule. Can you provide a link as this subject comes up a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    I was with O2 which are now owned by 3. I had a dispute with them and left owing them 87e. Cabot call me every now and then and I get a letter every few weeks. I just ignore them all, whatever crap they write in them is not legally binding. They cannot bring you to court and it won't affect your credit rating. Just scare tactics.

This is really some bad advice OP, do not listen to it.

At the end of the day, you signed a legally binding contract and cannot just stop paying. If you have severe issues with a network you should contact ComReg to get assistance. They have every legal right to take you to court, and if found guilty, that will impact your credit rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did you get a phone on the contract and if so, did you send it back or keep it?

Advertisement