Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is god?

Options
  • 07-02-2015 11:32am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/who-is-god-1.2094186
    what does God mean to people in Ireland today? We went out and asked some of them.

Some interesting changes and viewpoints, I'd wager that back in 1980 pretty much everyone would have said a catholic god.

Reminds me of the story my mother told me recently, my dad only really ever did weddings, christmas etc when it came to mass. He once had a customer say to him "I wish I could be like you, I wish I didn't have to go to mass".

Thankfully that viewpoint has changed

Still scary that some people still can't accept the fact that some people simple don't believe a god exists though,
    They were talking about that around the table the other day. Another sister said that he doesn’t believe in God. I said, “Ah, he just doesn’t know Him.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

Even people who believe in fairies, santa, horoscopes have difficulty accepting that other people don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

To answer the question posed in the thread title, I am god.

And, Cabaal, what the hell have you done with the spaceship I conned my disciple into bringing you half the way across the galaxy to deliver to me, hah?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Some of that is properly cringeworthy.

The times must be saving face as well - because with 50/50 atheist/agnostic, the placards don't actually read as you'd expect....

I'm rather confused by this, though
    Do you believe in God? Sitting upstairs somewhere? No. We’re a tiny speck in the universe. [If he’s there] Earth and the humans are just a little hobby for him.

What did you think of Stephen Fry? Fair play to him. He was brave, and Gaybo took it well. But it’s a narrow point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Doesnt it seem like a lot of "The Faithful" had (and a lot still have) no idea that a majority of us actually feel the same way Stephen Fry feels?

I think that interview came as a major shock to many of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Some of that is properly cringeworthy.
    it's a fluff piece, with every possible point of view catered for. to be expected, hardly an analysis of what irish people now believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I have heard variation on the 'you just don't know him yet' a few times recently. It is so insulting to hear, the latest was an imam, say that someone who is atheist has just not studied or know enough to believe in a god.
    Also, the same one said, in response to stephen fry, that if people have suffering in their lives it is because of something they did in the past or a choice they are making, and for children because of something their parents did. So bone cancer in children is because their parents did something God did not like, and they probably have not studied enough to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

it's a fluff piece, with every possible point of view catered for. to be expected, hardly an analysis of what irish people now believe.

Every point of view? There was nobody saying "God is unnecessary".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭swampgas

Surely if there really were a god out there, the question of "Who is God?" could be resolved by, you know, just asking him/her/it directly? I would have thought that a god who refuses to communicate is most likely not there at all?

It's one of those telling things - even religious people get nervous of those who claim to be "talking to God".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

To answer the question posed in the thread title, I am god.
    It's true. I read it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

This guy has it wrong. John Williams is not the man; he is, an fact, God.

More pertinently, I think God at its most credible is a sentient infinitely varied entity - just like the Omniverse but with added ultimate sentience, and therefore never as good an explanation for our existence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement