Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life/serious illness insurance when adopted

Options
  • 06-02-2015 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering how one should fill a form when adopted, given the options are yes or no! We were filling out insurance forms and it asked specifically about birth parents/siblings and medical issues. Dh left his section blank in order to ask the broker, who in turn replied no to all questions. Now I am wondering if an insurance company could use this so as not to pay out in the event something happened to Dh. He cannot prove that his birth family do or don't have medical issues. Has anyone come across this and how did you fill out your details if unknown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am a Life Assurance Broker, but I am also adopted. I applied for Life and Illness cover and came had the same concern.

The way I dealt with it was by speaking with the underwriters and by disclosing it as extra information. (I disclosed that I was adopted and had no information regarding my blood relatives).

The reason you disclose it is simply so its on your application and it gives the life office less excuse if a claim should arise. Some of them do ask you to disclose any other relevant health information on an application form and I feel this would be a wise piece of information to disclose there.

In theory, if you have no information regarding your blood relatives, it shouldn't make a difference, but I am always more cautious and prefer to give life offices more information then they require. You are then putting the responsibility back on them to investigate things further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Thanks a million for your reply Drumpot. Think that's a great idea.

Advertisement