Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear S22 Episode 4 (15th February)

Options
  • 06-02-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭

da7ewj.jpg

4/10. Jeremy Clarkson tests the new BMW M4 at the track, before switching to the German manufacturer's hybrid-powered i8 for a trip up the A1 to Whitby, North Yorkshire, where he decides which of the two he would rather take for the drive home. With Land Rover production ceasing in the UK later this year, Richard Hammond pays tribute to the 4x4 by attempting to drive one straight up the side of a dam, while James May puts the Mercedes AMG GT through its paces. Taking to the test track in the Reasonably Priced Car are Will Smith and Margot Robbie, who star in new comedy crime drama Focus.

Radio Times

Rate tonight's show 33 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Above average
    27% 9 votes
    Average
    42% 14 votes
    Below avevrage
    24% 8 votes
    Terrible
    6% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Want that AMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Few mins behind but that I8 is surprisingly good! A decent-in-the-real-world hybrid with performance and decent looks as well!

EDIT: .... or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭bnt

For Jeremy to get 30-ish MPG in the i8, while driving like Jeremy, is actually not to be sniffed at.

Will Smith in an Austin Maestro ... there's an image that's not going to work. A bit unfair to put him up against Margot Robbie, who (she says) has been driving on the left since she could reach the pedals.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That pivoted Landrover motor is fcuking genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Aye, But they could attach all that to a nissan micra and it'd still get up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

will the new stig ever go around the track in the f1 car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Good show, not a fan of Hammond but he did good in the Landy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

bnt wrote: »
    For Jeremy to get 30-ish MPG in the i8, while driving like Jeremy, is actually not to be sniffed at.

Will Smith in an Austin Maestro ... there's an image that's not going to work. A bit unfair to put him up against Margot Robbie, who (she says) has been driving on the left since she could reach the pedals.

For something to make huge claims on mpg that's pittance.

And if you believe jeramy it's not just his driving. There's a general trend there

I quite liked this show

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Recognised the Interstellar tune during May's AMG piece.

The dam looked pretty intimidating, though I didn't think that particular bit was much of a tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

As This seasons actual car based episode i thought it was really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

That pivoted Landrover motor is fcuking genius!

It would have to pivot on the axis of the driveshaft to do anything other than power a motor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Buffman

I thought the show was very good tonight, that I8 was interesting. Only €170 motor tax here so might do well :D. Nearly laughed myself off the couch when Hammond opened the garage door and I was expecting a mint Land Rover.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Put Margot Robbie in the MB GT, turn off the sound and leave me alone for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,797 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That Land Rover going up the dam wall was scary. Hammond was terrified in Land Rover and for good reason. I don't think it was thought out to well. It could of went very wrong.

Winch strong enough, check
    Engine to power it, check
    Winch bolted to bumper with bolts strong enough, check
    Eh Are the bolts that attach bumper to Land Rover strong enough , ??
    Is the bracket that the bolts that bolt on the bumper strong enough
    Is the part that the bracket that bolts on the bolts that hold on the bumper strong enough?
    It looks like they bolted on a strong winch to a bumper with the attitude '' nothing will move that winch from that bumper''
    I was waiting for bumper to fail, or whole bumper and bracket to fail, or for bracket to pull off the chassis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Recognised the Interstellar tune during May's AMG piece.

The dam looked pretty intimidating, though I didn't think that particular bit was much of a tribute.

They use loads of Hans Zimmer samples over the last few series! Really adds to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So to celebrate the Land Rover, they modified it so it wasn't the same as the Land Rover. I thought it was an extremely dull and pointless segment. It was so dull that I'd have preferred if it was on the restoration on the Land Rover in his shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

As a segment the Land Rover bit was pretty cool

As a tribute? Didn't make sense

I wonder what other car things they could copy? :P

Overall a good episode, even the guest bit was interesting!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

IvySlayer wrote: »
    As a segment the Land Rover bit was pretty cool

As a tribute? Didn't make sense

I wonder what other car things they could copy? :P

Overall a good episode, even the guest bit was interesting!
    The tribute to be honest should have been for them to buy a Land Rover and be sent on a series of test or similar to prove the value of even old LRs and british steel etc. but ce la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

That Land Rover going up the dam wall was scary. Hammond was terrified in Land Rover and for good reason. I don't think it was thought out to well. It could of went very wrong.

you know something cynical in me wonders was he really in the land rover when it was being winched up the dam??? i mean all you saw was a close up of him in the cabin which could have been shot afterwards??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

fryup wrote: »
    you know something cynical in me wonders was he really in the land rover when it was being winched up the dam??? i mean all you saw was a close up of him in the cabin which could have been shot afterwards??

Well, he isn't a particular good actor and he did look rather put off having to winch back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that .1 second difference in the siarpc with will smith and his co-star was a bit hollywood (pardon the pun)

i give that a big pinch of salt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

fryup wrote: »
    that .1 second difference in the siarpc with will smith and his co-star was a bit hollywood (pardon the pun)

i give that a big pinch of salt

Same when Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz were on it. BS, tbh.

Advertisement