Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mainframe jobs - COBOL, PL/1, IMS, CICS, etc.

Options
  • 06-02-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice / tips on getting back in to IBM mainframe programming.

I've 15 years mainframe programming / analysis experience but it's not current - spent the last few years in IT sales.

Would like to get back in the programming game but don't know who still uses mainframes or what the market is like for these skills.

I know that there's not much around these days but then again not many people learn it - and PL/1, COBOL hasn't exactly changed in the time I've been away!

Have been on to a couple of agencies but naturally they're more interested in candidates with current experience so I'm going to try and go direct.

Apart from AIB, does anybody have any advice on other companies that may have openings for mainframe programmers in the Dublin area?

Thanks in advance.

o29

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I would have thought that IBM would be the place to try, particularly their services part. While mainframe COBOL hasn't changed much, on everything else it's changed utterly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Insurance companies, banks and utilities would be your best bets, and also Aer Lingus.

Advertisement