Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

09 AUDI A4 2.0 TDI

Options
  • 06-02-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Gearbox giving trouble, have been told its the flywheel, A genuine flywheel plus clutch kit release bearing and fork is costing a whopping €1314 before vat and labour! Main dealers are advising against spurious (of course they are!!!) as meant to be troublesome! Anyone have any experience in this before? Are the flywheels for this model troublesome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Get a quote from an independent mechanic. Id have thought the parts would be between 4-500 euro. You'd probably get better values on the labour.

Also, the quality of the non-genuine brand is key. Some are terrible, some are as good or better than the genuine OEM parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tonto24 wrote: »
    Gearbox giving trouble, have been told its the flywheel, A genuine flywheel plus clutch kit release bearing and fork is costing a whopping €1314 before vat and labour! Main dealers are advising against spurious (of course they are!!!) as meant to be troublesome! Anyone have any experience in this before? Are the flywheels for this model troublesome?

Flywheels are classed as consumables unfortunately. It is advised to change the clutch at the same time too as you have to remove the clutch to get at the flywheel.

Where are you based? Get in touch with George Dalton near Portlaoise for a price, he is highly recommended for VAG stuff. He also posts here regularly. No point in getting the job done on a 6 year old car at a main dealer when a good independent garage can do it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

Im in Cork people. Its my housemates car but I actually have the exact same model! Its meanta be a right **** of a job, have to drop the gearbox and basically totally strip the engine to get at it! Def a days labour in it! As for the price of parts im afraid not, The flywheel on its own is €855 plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Forget main dealers. After that I know not a jot but my sister has 2010 one so I'll watch with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

out of curiosity what mileage has the car up??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 DMK1982

Got the flywheel and clutch replaced in 05 2.0tdi a few months ago for 1200euro all in with an independant mechanic. Flywheel came with 24month warranty. Just to give some perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

190000km i think! I know its under 200k and over 180! A 05 is a completely different model!

190000km i think! I know its under 200k and over 180! A 05 is a completely different model!

Ah great , ive just bought a 09 with 210 done but so immediate sign of the flywheel going. mine is a 120, is his 120/140/170 hp.

an 05 is a different model but it may have the same clutch and flywheel in it. I do know the B7 (2005)was a PD engine and the B8 (2009) was CR engine.

Is your mate gonna keep the car for another few years or liable to flog it soon.
    If he was selling soon he could put in a single mass flywheel /a solid wheel.
    A friend did and a few dealers couldnt tell the difference (in the vibrations)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

DMK1982 wrote: »
    Got the flywheel and clutch replaced in 05 2.0tdi a few months ago for 1200euro all in with an independant mechanic. Flywheel came with 24month warranty. Just to give some perspective

I had to get flywheel and clutch replaced on my 2005 golf 1.9tdi Cost me €1,200 at main dealers in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

2008 B8 A4 2.0 CRTDI SE 6SP 143PS

Got the same work done a year ago @ 80,000 miles, got an uprated version of the same OEM 3 piece flywheel kit... total cost of parts & labour was €1400 from my mechanic.

P.S single mass flywheel will wreck your gearbox over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    2008 B8 A4 2.0 CRTDI SE 6SP 143PS

Got the same work done a year ago @ 80,000 miles, got an uprated version of the same OEM 3 piece flywheel kit... total cost of parts & labour was €1400 from my mechanic.

P.S single mass flywheel will wreck your gearbox over time.

Yep have heard that solid conversions are not good in the long term. ALso, and speaking from a siblings experience, spend a few quid and buy a decent brand cluth and flywheel. There are cheapie ones out there and they are cheap for a reason. You gets what you pay for etc etc.....

Yep have heard that solid conversions are not good in the long term. ALso, and speaking from a siblings experience, spend a few quid and buy a decent brand cluth and flywheel. There are cheapie ones out there and they are cheap for a reason. You gets what you pay for etc etc.....

Buy half price , buy twice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

DMK1982 wrote: »

The older shape A4 is much easier to do than the B8 and the parts are cheaper. We do the B7 for €850 vs €1150 for the B8.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭robo10

I recently changed the clutch and flywheel on my 2007 A6 2.0 TDI BRE. I bought an LUK clutch and flywheel kit for 490EURO including delivery from the UK. I got it fitted for 150euro.

640 EURO all in.

Advertisement