Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ferrari power lead?

Options
  • 06-02-2015 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi saw something that piqued my interest this morning thay somebody here may be able to clarify/explain.
    I have seen a Ferrari parked outside a drive in dublin every day this week with a chord running from the boot of the car to the garage. Can anybody explain what this is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Charging a flat battery? Some kind of interior or engine heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Dehumidifier maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 caffaddict

It was every morning so don't think it was dead battery. Dehumidifier or engine heater Maybe....it was still ran to the boot this evening passing by it. Could their engines really be that sensitive to harsh conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Probably a battery charger. I have a number of vehicles unused for long periods (JCB, motorbikes etc) they are all on battery tenders i.e. very low current chargers. Lead acid batteries discharge at a rate of about 10% per month, if they are left in a discharged state for too long they will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe its a Leaf with a Ferrari bodykit !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

caffaddict wrote: »
    Hi saw something that piqued my interest this morning thay somebody here may be able to clarify/explain.
    I have seen a Ferrari parked outside a drive in dublin every day this week with a chord running from the boot of the car to the garage. Can anybody explain what this is.

Since it's a Ferrari - I may ask the obvious question. Are you sure it was the boot? Which end of the vehicle was it - front or back?

Since it's a Ferrari - I may ask the obvious question. Are you sure it was the boot? Which end of the vehicle was it - front or back?

It was the boot, i.e. the back. I am not 100% sure is this particular model front or back engine mounted.
    Why do you ask, do you have a theory if it is either of the two options above?

macnab wrote: »
    Probably a battery charger. I have a number of vehicles unused for long periods (JCB, motorbikes etc) they are all on battery tenders i.e. very low current chargers. Lead acid batteries discharge at a rate of about 10% per month, if they are left in a discharged state for too long they will die.

Possibly. I assume that this is only required if the car doesn't get regular use?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

caffaddict wrote: »
    It was the boot, i.e. the back. I am not 100% sure is this particular model front or back engine mounted.
    Why do you ask, do you have a theory if it is either of the two options above?

IF it's to the engine compartment, more than likely I'd say it's an engine heater blanket. Using it due to the cold weather.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/700/7002314_2000x2000.jpg

You wind up with essentialy a power lead sticking out of the engine bay.engine_warming_2.jpg

If it's actually to the boot (i.e. storage space) it's probably a drip-charger. A lot of cars don't have the conventional battery placement beside the engine - a ferrari certainly wouldn't have the space for it anyway. More than likely lack of use and/or again the cold weather draining the battery.

Cool, looks like that's it! Appears there's quite a bit of maintenance with that puppy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement