Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mad? (First time renter needs advice)

Options
  • 05-02-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm mid to late 20's, still living at home and get on well (enough!) with my family. I make around 1680 a month- I work 2 jobs and
    can often make more at one of them, depending on time of year etc

I found out one of my friends is moving soon and is hoping to rent out her apartment for 600 month, it has 2 bedrooms but to be honest I would only need one... Would I be absolutely crazy to take it? I am single would be on my own.

I don't 'go out' much as most of my friends have children/houses at this stage, so I have no social life anyway and can be very good at saving when I put my mind to it. I would be hoping to use the 50/30/20 rule, and dipping into my savings if there are any emergencies.

But recently I have started to feel suffocated at home!! I have no experience with renting, apart from college but that was a totally different situation, and either has any of my family so I don't really have anyone to go to for advice- so any is welcome.

My friend has not got her house yet so I have a while to think about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If it's a two bed could you share it and cut the costs. Say 350, give them the on suite and you pay 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I think paying 600 plus bills on your wage is too much of a struggle, but if you can share as Spacehopper suggests, absolutely go for it. Time to fly the nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Not mad at all. Everyone needs their own space eventually. Don't forget to factor in your bills like electricity, heating, internet etc. renting out the other room seems to be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I found out one of my friends is moving soon and is hoping to rent out her apartment for 600 month, it has 2 bedrooms but to be honest I would only need one... Would I be absolutely crazy to take it? I am single would be on my own.
    You may not be allowed to sublet it; some landlords don't allow it.
    I don't 'go out' much as most of my friends have children/houses at this stage, so I have no social life anyway and can be very good at saving when I put my mind to it. I would be hoping to use the 50/30/20 rule, and dipping into my savings if there are any emergencies.
    When you live by yourself, bills are more expensive. Staying in all the time, no social life would mean no human interaction apart from work. This isn't that healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

People can get social interaction in other ways than going out at night to a pub or whatever. For many people playing online games, Skyping, participating in online communitys/open source projects, or even just having a friend over to play some video games/watch a movie is all the social life they need, and generally cost nothing, or very little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

If your friend will be your landlord, I would tend to avoid it as I could envisage problems further down the line with that relationship.

If I have mis-interpreted the situation, disregard this post :)

Advertisement