Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sell a car for parts or plain old scrappage.

Options
  • 05-02-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭

I have an old car, NCT failure, high mileage etc. and would need a bit of work.
    So I was wondering should I bother trying to sell it in one go for parts or just drive it to Galway Metal and walk away.
    It had 2 shocks and a drive shaft put in late last year and a turbo about 10 months before that. Sounds like madness now that i'm typing it out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

advertise it for spares and repairs, €300 and you'll sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Would it be less hassle and around the same money as scrap metal, it's a Ford Galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I doubt you;d get more than about €100 for it scrap value

Thanks. Up on Donedeal she goes so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Brought in a crashed C5 2.0 Hdi to one of the Limerick Scrap Metal crowds last week. Also had half a Starlet body (cut up) and 150kg or so of loose stuff thrown inside........€135.
    Can't see a galaxy being much heavier (when you include the stuff I'd thrown in to the Citroen).

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Brought in a crashed C5 2.0 Hdi to one of the Limerick Scrap Metal crowds last week. Also had half a Starlet body (cut up) and 150kg or so of loose stuff thrown inside........€135.
    Can't see a galaxy being much heavier (when you include the stuff I'd thrown in to the Citroen).

Thanks, hard to find info on current value of a scrapped car.

Apparently Scrap metal values are fairly low at present.
    And they take off a large percentage of the weight of a car ( compared to actual lumps of metal) to account for glass, plastics, tyres etc.

I'd try the done deal route first....you should get more money, and the car is collected. Even if you're only offered silly money as long as it's €180 or more you're better off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

That's shockingly low mbgt! Compared to a year or two ago. Where did you go - the guys up by the nct centre I presume? I found them better than hegartys clear circle or whatever the last time.

Yep, that's right. United Metals beside the NCT Centre...which is the new incarnation of 'Hegarty Metals' since he sold on the old company (now clear circle).
    Have brought in a few shells etc over the past couple of years and each time I always seem to be getting less than what I'd imagined I would receive, even allowing for the drop in scrap metal values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Oh I was going to United Metals cos I thought hegartys were mangey. D'oh!

No plans to need either of them for the next while at least.

• Advertisement

Got rid of it on Monday, got more than expected.
    I spotted it Donedeal yesterday, for a higher price with a load of lies about number of owners, spec and passing the Nct.
    Really highlights the problem with buying off Donedeal.
    The car wouldn't even be in his name yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭cletus

Got rid of it on Monday, got more than expected.
    I spotted it Donedeal yesterday, for a higher price with a load of lies about number of owners, spec and passing the Nct.
    Really highlights the problem with buying off Donedeal.
    The car wouldn't even be in his name yet!

Report the ad to donedeal, they're pretty good at taking them down

cletus wrote: »
    Report the ad to donedeal, they're pretty good at taking them down

I did but I had second thoughts , I would be worried about the individual realising it was me and venting his frustrations.

Advertisement