Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Interview

Options
  • 05-02-2015 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

emails leaked by anon regarding US state department involvement in the film.

personally i was shocked that a film like that was allowed. if the nth koreans had made it about obama, it would probably have been considered and act of war. utterly irresponsible and clearly done to goad.
    “In fact, when I have briefed my book on ‘preparing for the possibility of a North Korean collapse’ [Sept 2013], I have been clear that the assassination of Kim Jong-Un is the most likely path to a collapse of the North Korean government. Thus while toning down the ending may reduce the North Korean response, I believe that a story that talks about the removal of the Kim family regime and the creation of a new government by the North Korean people (well, at least the elites) will start some real thinking in South Korea and, I believe, in the North once the DVD leaks into the North (which it almost certainly will). So from a personal perspective, I would personally prefer to leave the ending alone.”

http://anonhq.com/proof-state-department-involved-filming-interview-north-korea-probably-not-behind-sony-hack/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

personally i was shocked that a film like that was allowed. if the nth koreans had made it about obama, it would probably have been considered and act of war. utterly irresponsible and clearly done to goad.

http://anonhq.com/proof-state-department-involved-filming-interview-north-korea-probably-not-behind-sony-hack/
    Well Sony is not controlled by the US government, whereas any video released in North Korea would have been made by the Government so it would have been seen as a little more provocative. Such as this video released by a state broadcaster depicting a nuclear attack on the US:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP8T7Qar88

I'd imagine the US government would have preferred if The Interview was never greenlit by Sony but I'm sure we'll disagree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,175 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean, quite often, filmmakers set out to produce films to convey messages and invoke either changes or emotional responses in the audience. Opinions about race, gender, sexuality, etc often get portrayed in films so it stands to reason a film intent on sparking revolt in North Korea isn't that unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Overheal wrote: »
    I mean, quite often, filmmakers set out to produce films to convey messages and invoke either changes or emotional responses in the audience. Opinions about race, gender, sexuality, etc often get portrayed in films so it stands to reason a film intent on sparking revolt in North Korea isn't that unrealistic.

most definitely but leaked emails from the state department, asking for the ending to remain, isnt exactly above board is it?

it feels like a modern propaganda film, in the vein of hitlers 'the eternal jew'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I can't rememeber if it had real US military vehicles in it.
    I'm guessing it was supported by the US army and maybe even made in South korea(USA).
    And part of their unspoken war with Russia and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,474 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why?

This one wasn't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_President_%282006_film%29
    Death of a President is a 2006 British high-concept docudrama political thriller film about the fictional assassination of George W. Bush, the 43rd U.S. President, on 19 October 2007 in Chicago, Illinois

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

• Registered Users Posts: 82,175 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

most definitely but leaked emails from the state department, asking for the ending to remain, isnt exactly above board is it?

it feels like a modern propaganda film, in the vein of hitlers 'the eternal jew'.

I never watched the eternal jew by any stretch (Does Iron Sky Count?) but yeah it definitely feels like there was a political gesture behind it but I think for Sony at the exec level that was more a case of 'we already spent a ton of money on these location shots and a tank and special effects and we want to save our expenses.' at the director and writer level I feel it was a lot more emotional/political - though it wasnt lost on the execs.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

It's utterly irresponsible to goad a brutal psychopathic tyrant and his nightmarishly sick regime? Sure. Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

It's utterly irresponsible to goad a brutal psychopathic tyrant and his nightmarishly sick regime? Sure. Right.

Welcome to CT's, please read this before posting here again. If you cant contribute without demeaning another poster, dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Hmmm, I'm not sure how nightmarishly sick his regime is. I have seen a few documentaries on it and they were pretty nasty. The starvation especially.
    However I am wary of propaganda from the west and especially the USA(also I am guessing they will have embargos to stop supplies getting in which could be the cause of the starvation), who would love nothing more than to steal the top half of the country they have already invaded and get that bit more control of the board.
    If this film helps them push for the north of Korea, then it has done it's job, by preparing the minds of the world for the death of north korea as we know it. Maybe life will be easier after the dust has settled. Maybe....
    Best to look at Iraq or Syria to find a similar example.

But it is difficult to judge North Korea when compared to the nightmare that is the USA.
    I'm guessing the USA have the highest kills of all continents and a good deal of that could include torture, ruined economies and starvation for the victims. They haven't invented proper targeting systems it seems. They keep hitting innocents in this longterm terrorizing "war on terror".
    What I want to know is why the north Korean president hasn't gotten a nobel peace prize too. It's going dirt cheap at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement