Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Replacing Epson Print Head €1305

Options
  • 05-02-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I have an Epson Stylus Pro 4900, which I purchased for about €1700. I have one blocked printhead, the cyan. I have tried numerous powerful cleans, but alas no joy. The only other option is to replace the print head. I nearly fell of the phone when I heard the price. If I was to have it done, it would carry a parts only guarantee of 3 months. Looks like it will be monochrome only for me from here on in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

What a rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, outrageous price. I'd do an worldwide Ebay search for the printer and the print head....save it....and wait for the specific item to come in. Good chance you'll get the part needed in working condition for a fraction of the price. Best of luck.

Ephraim

• Registered Users Posts: 27 crispyduck

seems like this is a very common problem. Bottom line is don't buy an Epson printer. They are crap and very prone to blockages. There is a great youtube video of a guy smashing his Epson 9900 with a sledge hammer. How can a company with such faulty equipment keep going. I mean of it was a car, you would not buy it!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how old is your printer?

it is heading towards 4 years. I had a 3 year warranty. So it seems if you buy one, you can only expect it to have a 3 year life and should write off the cost over that period. I am trying to get it going again now and have multiple blocked heads which are not responding to forceful cleans. I am wasting all my ink and have just had to install a new maintenance tank. I was going to upgrade to a 24" Epson, but after my latest research, I think I will definitely change brand, probably to Canon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

known problem with the 900 series printers, they are PRODUCTION printers, they need to be used, and used hard

if they sit they will block

in 5 epson wide formats i have had, 1 needed a head replacement, its was a 9800 so the head is much much cheaper

i assume you have tried the super power clean? which is only accessible via the service mode

I knew there is clean and powe powerful clean available from the ink menu but I have never heard of super power mode or service menu. Would be very grateful if you could share. Thank you.

here is a link to one article

they call it ss clean

WARNING. ss clean is a last resort and actually can do damage, its ment to only be used by epson techs

http://myx900.com/cleaning-cycles/

Thanks, that was a good link, but it seems that this cleaning mode is not available on the 4900. Does anyone know if the Canon printers are any more reliable, as clearly the more I read the more I see that Epson are a con job.

Managed to unblock my heads myself. The old windolene trick worked. Sure why wouldn't Epson try and extract a small fortune out of me. Pity I filled nearly a whole maintenance tank with precious ink first. A very expensive lesson and my next printer won't be an Epson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Glad you managed to unblock it anyway. Plus next time it blocks, you'll know how to unblock it really quickly (and cheaply).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think Steve pointed out that you are probably under using your printer. It would probably be a problem with any brand of printer that was designed for constant work.

The consumer printers will be designed for a more infrequent operation.

In some cases the blockage is caused by lack of use, but not always. I think the frequency of use is more important. I use mine a lot, but sometimes due to,other pressures it is left idle. I don't think this absolves Epson for not having an easily serviceable printer and they certainly don't warn you to,print every day when they sell it to you or indeed confine the sale to,professional users.
    My black ink channel is blocked again and is not responding to all methods so far. I will certainly never buy another Epson. I had been thinking of upgrading to a 7900 but now I will look at other brands, probably Canon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Canon make good printers too. I do not own a printer at all now. More cost effective to get prints done elsewhere. I have found that most of the professionals that get the quality I am looking for use Epson gear. I let them them have these sort of worries and just trust they will print my files the way I want them.

One thing I forgot to ask, are you using the genuine or third party inks?

Only ever use original inks, but in fairness third party inks, if good, can be a very cost effective option and obviously it is in Epsons interest to scare monger about them.
    On printing from labs, as a professional, who demands only the very best, everything has to be directly within my own control. Yes it is time consuming and frustrating at times. But so is driving to a lab, parking, etc, which all costs money too. Printing is a very rewarding when you acquire the skills. It is a whole science in itself. Sometimes I might test print on a number of papers before choosing the best for the particular image. I get to precisely chose the black and white point, tones etc, which can only be done precisely and to my eye's satisfaction with some trial and error for each photo and paper. It's impossible to do this with a lab, unless you want to sit there with photoshop and a laptop and pay him for every test print he does. I hear what you are saying about Epson quality, but will do some serious research before I buy my 24". Buy your self a printer and discover the joy of producing your own beautiful images.

I have done printing in the past.

When in Ireland I get prints done at 360dpi. I know that Steve has an eye for quality and will look at my images before printing. I can discuss with him what I want ans also get his advice. I have done this from Australia and have been more than pleased with the results. I have a similar relationship with another printer locally. I will often go and have prints done while there. Both use Epson machines. For me it's the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

CabanSail wrote: »
    I think Steve pointed out that you are probably under using your printer. It would probably be a problem with any brand of printer that was designed for constant work.

The consumer printers will be designed for a more infrequent operation.

I had an epson consumer level printer. The heads blocked, seemingly from under use....

I think they all block full stop. The basis for the Espon technology is poor. If you had a car that the engine blocked on because you were away for a month, you would not accept it. The replacement heads are clearly a rip off, adding insult to injury. These x900 series printers are just faulty.

i have had 4 or 5 epsons now

over the past 10 or 12 years. had ONE head replacement

i have a 9900 and dont have issues at all with it. BUT my printers are running all the time

comparing with a car isnt quite right, cars arent design to run all the time etc

as far as cost for replacements etc. yep i think they are hi, are they a ripoff, well thats open to interpretation

As for do these machines generate a huge amount of business for me, hell yea, mind so would the canons, etc

in the scheme of running costs for one of these machines if its run like its ment to, in production the cost of a head over say 3 years is insignificant compared to the turnover of jobs from it

McGaggs wrote: »
    I had an epson consumer level printer. The heads blocked, seemingly from under use....

Mine did too.

Then so did the Canon as well.

I think it's a problem with ink drying out rather than a brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

CabanSail wrote: »
    Mine did too.

Then so did the Canon as well.

I think it's a problem with ink drying out rather than a brand.

Something happened the Canon I replaced it with, I don't remember what.

Ah well, thought I, its a MFD, I'll still be able to scan things with it.

No, thought Mr Canon MFD, I will not scan without ink, even though I do not allow you access to the ink cartridges to replace them.

I should've thought to video myself smashing it up with a hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paric

Buy a 4900 on eBay and have 4 spare cartridges
    ebay.com/itm/Epson-Stylus-Pro-4900-Digital-Photo-Inkjet-Printer-/151587597639?hash=item234b532d47

Advertisement