Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dekmantel 2015

Options
  • 04-02-2015 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

You forgot to mention Autechre who are playing the opening night and for everyone else its in Amsterdam and its on 30th July - 2nd August.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

amazing lineup. would love to go but already have something on that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Definitely want to go to this, such a great line-up. Anyone been before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Planning on being in Amsterdam around that time so would love to fit this in, although the line up is a bit techno heavy for my liking. Read on Resident Advisor that 60 of the 150 acts have been announced so far, but not sure whether the rest of the line up will be smaller/local DJs or if I could expect a few more big acts. Would love to hear from anyone who has been before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Booked, hope Levon plays again. Will be my first time, incredible line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Argh! They just posted on Facebook that half the tickets are already gone, can't afford to get them until May as I have DGTL festival in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Why is there (live) next to some acts? Does that mean it will be like a live perofrmance opposed to just a dj? I've never heard of these acts before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

There's a crew of people I know going to this - thinking of flying over from London with my Mrs.
    Is this a predominantly techno festival or what?

Best post ever.

Wow, a monkey that can type. Go on, type something else.

cringe.

Look - straight forward bloody question. I didnt expect any sort of piquant response - unless you lot are Parisien or something.
    I have been to a lot of festivals in the UK (Big Chill, Homelands, Gods Kitchen, Field Day etc) and at home (EP) and each tend to have their own sort of theme within dance and alternative musical fraternity. I found out about this festival yesterday, a mate got in touch about it - hadnt heard of it before. Sent the link to another mate who reckoned it would be predominantly techno base on the line up. Havent had time to do my own research, did a quick search in here and see there is a thread going and just wanted to know what to expect. And this is the response I get.

My words but quoting another.
    Is it really that difficult to enlighten me as to what its like? My sort of thing is tech/funky-house, I used to play that sort of stuff out back when i had a life. I'll do research tonight or tomorrow but I'm not overly keen on something that has a very clearly defined hard-core industrial edge to it. Thats all I want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

kstand wrote: »
    Look - straight forward bloody question. I didnt expect any sort of piquant response - unless you lot are Parisien or something.
    I have been to a lot of festivals in the UK (Big Chill, Homelands, Gods Kitchen, Field Day etc) and at home (EP) and each tend to have their own sort of theme within dance and alternative musical fraternity. I found out about this festival yesterday, a mate got in touch about it - hadnt heard of it before. Sent the link to another mate who reckoned it would be predominantly techno base on the line up. Havent had time to do my own research, did a quick search in here and see there is a thread going and just wanted to know what to expect. And this is the response I get.

Yes, it's mainly a techno festival, but the idea of the 'genre' has taken a bit of a hammering in the past decade. Dekmantel do a great job of showcasing the more fluid end of club music. So think techno, with a bit of everything thrown in. For example, this wouldn't really be like any of the techno tents at Homelands, give or take one or two artists.

Lads will ye just pack it in. Childish nonsense.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's mainly a techno festival, but the idea of the 'genre' has taken a bit of a hammering in the past decade. Dekmantel do a great job of showcasing the more fluid end of club music. So think techno, with a bit of everything thrown in. For example, this wouldn't really be like any of the techno tents at Homelands, give or take one or two artists.

Sounds like my sort of thing. Must admit I'd never heard of the festival only that one of my mates has a load of mates living in Utrecht and they told him about it and now he's organizing a posse.
    Outside of the music, the festival itself seems to have every selling point Id look for - its not far from the middle of the Dam and you can pick and choose whats days/nights to go to. getting on towards 40 now so the day of staying in tents is reserved for the kids, can just go along for the day and that night and stay in a hotel with the rest of the gang that night. Havent been to anything like this in ages - even the annual Ibiza trips have come to an end - so want to make sure its worth it.
    Thanks for your input.

My words but quoting another.
    Is it really that difficult to enlighten me as to what its like? My sort of thing is tech/funky-house, I used to play that sort of stuff out back when i had a life. I'll do research tonight or tomorrow but I'm not overly keen on something that has a very clearly defined hard-core industrial edge to it. Thats all I want to know.

Techno has gotten slower and more musical since about 2006-2007. There's certainly some harder-edged acts performing at Dekmantel, but if you haven't been to a techno festival in some time you'll probably be surprised at how much 'space' there is in the music.

Techno has gotten slower and more musical since about 2006-2007. There's certainly some harder-edged acts performing at Dekmantel, but if you haven't been to a techno festival in some time you'll probably be surprised at how much 'space' there is in the music.

Havent been to a festival in 7 or 8 years. I download a lot of stuff from Beatport and must admit that there is so much overlapping now of the music genres that whoever decides to label each new release must be reeling from the confusion as to what is what these days.

You had said that it was "techno and house" - sorry for being pedantic but a predominantly techno festival in my experience would be a hell of a lot different from a predominantly house festival. Like for example, I would think that at a predominantly techno festival I wouldn't have expected to hear a lot of deep soulful house music (not that i would want to either tbh).
    Apologies for my outburst in response to your initial answer. And if we do make it across and at some point I do hear anything by the forementioned Purcell then I'll bring you over a beer by way of cementing the apology.

Havent been to a festival in 7 or 8 years. I download a lot of stuff from Beatport and must admit that there is so much overlapping now of the music genres that whoever decides to label each new release must be reeling from the confusion as to what is what these days.

There's some fantastic music available through Beatport, but you really have to dig deep for it. The genre sections there are only really representative of the more commercial end of the spectrum. Check out somewhere like Boomkat. They'd typically highlight the types of artists performing at Dekmantel.

Also, a lot of the artists have performed Boiler Room sets. If you're definitely going then spend a bit of time looking at them on YouTube. You'll soon figure out what you like and who you want to see.

Here's one of my favourites from Tama Sumo.

Safe trip and enjoy yourself.

Nice one RTC - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭useded

Who's heading along to dekmantel this week then? Pretty excited myself.

• Advertisement

Advertisement