Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy on the Northside?

Options
  • 04-02-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

From the Southside and looking at property to buy on the Northside atm, my budget is between 200-250k

Which areas are good and which should i avoid?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are you buying to live in yourself or to rent out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Where are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

(a) It's impossible to name an area and declare it either uniformly flawless or uniformly flawed. Well, maybe Darndale..

(b) do you really just want to live "on the northside?". Anywhere? Does proximity to public transport/city centre/M50/open green space etc come into it?

Your budget, realistically, wouldn't stretch to a house in the higher brow ends of Clontarf or Raheny or into Malahide/Portmarnock at this point. If you named a suburb maybe we could help you out with the better or worse spots within that suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It's funny how the OP just assumes everyone in Ireland will know he's talking about Dublin.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks if you suspect that a poster is a troll do not call them out on thread as all it does it derail any constructive discussion - report the post and let the Mod team deal with it.
    Stay on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that amount around South Dublin would get you a decent 2 bed apartment at best in a decent to good area. Might be worth looking at houses in and around the new luas BXD line that is being built, you would have good transport connections and a bump in value when it opens... Its only a suggestion, because it looks to me like with that amount you could get somewhere central with good transport links and prospects for a bonus appreciation around the northside areas within a 10 minute walk of BXD...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What about Clongriffin, near enough to the coast and its got a Dart station, you would get a 2 or 3 bed terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jeremyr wrote: »
    Do you have kids and/or a car, and do you ever intend on having either? Also, is it a house or apartment you want?

Have you looked at daft.ie at all?

And why not buy Southside? Is it because you'll be far from the city centre? Because you'll have to tell us this, as some nice places on the Northside are also far away from the CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Just bought in Kilbarrack, absolute bargin of a house.

Everyone I spoke to went oooh, err Kilbarrack, then I spoke to about half a dozen people who lived in the area and (friends and friends of friends) who have all said most of it is super and the reputation stems from 10 - 20 years ago. Has the great side effect of depressing prices.

Been up there late at night several times, not a spot of bother.

I'll report back after I've been there a while but there are places coming up in Raheny and Artane if you want a 'better' area in your price bracket. Careful though as you only need to go a short distance to be in a 'bad' area again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Rasmus wrote: »
    Agree about Kilbarrack. It seems to have a bad rep in some circles but it's pretty much Clontarf.

Are you thinking about Killester?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jeremyr

Rasmus wrote: »
    Whoops yeah. Note to self: no posting before coffee.

Silly git

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Silly git

Well that's uncalled for. Are you a teenager?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Silly git

Less of it please, this is not a school playground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

You can get a 4 bed in the finglas area for your sort of budget...forget what the area was like 20 years ago..its completely changed as people move on,move out and new people move in.

In terms of proximity to town,airport and m50 its pretty hard to beat.

Obviously there are one or two areas where it would be wise to avoid still but the price of them plus a bit of research can tell you a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Silly git

Care to answer any questions OP/Jeremyr or are you going to let others play the guessing game for you?.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Just on the mention of Finglas. There seem to be numerous properties advertised for sale. Is everyone running out of Dodge? Or is it suffering from past reputation?
    I'm possibly going to buy somewhere on the north side of Dublin. My good lady is foreign and therefore doesn't have any bias towards certain areas. So it tends to be me answering "Oh Noooooo honey, that's a nasty area" when a location is suggested. And I'm just probably being unfair based on a youthful experience or an overheard opinion. Anyone else find themselves dismissing areas without real experience of the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

i see there is a large housing estate that was mothballed it is being finished out now it is just off the malahide road at campions pub across from the graveyard. It might be worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Cabra is not a bad area ,schools are good and close to town.Plus Luas is coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Roxee wrote:
    (a) It's impossible to name an area and declare it either uniformly flawless or uniformly flawed. Well, maybe Darndale..

definitely disagree with that ... except for darndale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

deandean wrote: »
    i see there is a large housing estate that was mothballed it is being finished out now it is just off the malahide road at campions pub across from the graveyard. It might be worth checking out

I doubt they will be in budget tbf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

deandean wrote: »

Also Gannon Homes are still developing in the Clongriffin area. 29 or so under construction presently with some sold from plans but they have planning for 100 or so units.

Thanks for the replies guys, but no disrespect intended i would never consider Finglas or Cabra

Killester looks nice but the prices are a bit high imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thanks for the replies guys, but no disrespect intended i would never consider Finglas or Cabra

have you tried daft, itll give you guide prices for properties on sale anywhere in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You will be quite limited then tbh. As advised, check out MyHome or Daft for a guide area by area.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In Dublin, "nice" and "high price" tend to go hand in hand. Parts of Finglas can be "locals only", whereby they are nice if you have ties there, but otherwise best left alone. There are however nice parts.

And like Finglas, Dublin as a whole has it's good and bad parts. You just have to balance what is good, and what's the price is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

From the Southside and looking at property to buy on the Northside atm, my budget is between 200-250k

Regards

Good luck with buying in killester with a budget of 200-250k, for a house, you might get an apartment, at the moment a site in kilester is for sale for
    €219,950.

I know killester very well its a nice area, it always amazes me that anyone thinks somehow they will be able to get a 'nice' area on the north much cheaper just because its on the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

i trust one is aware that anywhere on the north side, east of the Dart line, is officially the southside.

;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Alicano wrote: »
    Just on the mention of Finglas. There seem to be numerous properties advertised for sale. Is everyone running out of Dodge? Or is it suffering from past reputation?

Different factors.

A lot of original finglas inhabitants are now very old or have died..the families can get respectable money for a 1960's house and they have their own places anyway.

In places like meakstown and Charleston a lot ofthe properties are boom time purchases and ppeople can't afford the mortgage.

I suppose there's a lot of housing in the finglas area so it'll always have lots on sale but in any of the decent areas the prices have increased substantially.. You'd need a lot more than 250k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

mariaalice wrote: »
    Good luck with buying in killester with a budget of 200-250k, for a house, you might get an apartment, at the moment a site in kilester is for sale for
    €219,950.

I know killester very well its a nice area, it always amazes me that anyone thinks somehow they will be able to get a 'nice' area on the north much cheaper just because its on the Northside.

Agreed! For me Killester is on par with Clontarf, in fact I put it ahead because of Killester village! Clontarf has no village (well a pretty sh*t one) and most people in Clontarf would frequent Killester village.

Houses have sold in Killester and the Brookwood road part of Artane for 400k-500k+ , rightly or wrongly. These are not cheap areas and why should it be assumed they are just because they're north of the Liffey.

• Advertisement

jon1981 wrote: »
    Agreed! For me Killester is on par with Clontarf, in fact I put it ahead because of Killester village! Clontarf has no village (well a pretty sh*t one) and most people in Clontarf would frequent Killester village.

Houses have sold in Killester and the Brookwood road part of Artane for 400k-500k+ , rightly or wrongly. These are not cheap areas and why should it be assumed they are just because they're north of the Liffey.

Bad name, reputation etc

I thought it would be dramatically cheaper from the southside myself and have no problem moving to the northside

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement