Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life insurance on rental property mortgage

Options
  • 04-02-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As the owner? I presume you have to as requirement by the bank regardless of whether you live in the property or not. They want their money in case you die.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

That isn't how it works - talk to your bank regarding their requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You used to be able to waive the requirement for a mortgage protection policy on an investment property mortgage, not sure if you still can? But I always thought it made sense to have one.

• Advertisement

You used to be able to waive the requirement for a mortgage protection policy on an investment property mortgage, not sure if you still can? But I always thought it made sense to have one.

Mortgage protection is different to an assurance policy though. Both are a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

But not from the bank's perspective: they want to maximise the interest you pay over the life of the loan.

Whether it's needed or not depends on the mortgage provider's rules. I was allowed to do without it (on my own home, not even a rental property) because of the size of deposit I had - and because I did the sums about various interest scenarios and what would happen if I got sick and couldn't work.

With a rental property, provide the rent easily covers the mortgage, the bank may not require it. Only they know their rules.

Hold on a minute, OP are you talking about a life assurance policy which pays out on death or are you talking about a payment protection policy that pays out if unemployed or sick?
    They are not the same thing and going by some of the comments above people are interchanging the concepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭beatlesfan3333

As far as I know, it's a requirement by the banks. If you have a mortgage, you have to have life assurance. That's what I've heard anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Certainly in the past it has been possible to have an investment property without a life assurance policy.
    I can't state for a fact that that is still the case nowadays - it may depend on the bank in question but I would imagine the same situation exists.

In fact it is also possible to have a mortgage on a PPR with the requirement for life assurance to be waived if three companies have turned you down for life assurance. Again it would depend on the bank in question & your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

I think they would only do it in exceptional circumstances i.e. where previous illness made the cost prohibitively high. It's probably case by case but I doubt they'd waive it easily

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

farrerg wrote: »
    I think they would only do it in exceptional circumstances i.e. where previous illness made the cost prohibitively high. It's probably case by case but I doubt they'd waive it easily

I don't think on an investment property it has to be in exceptional circumstances or where illness affects the policy cost. I've had it waived by different banks with no difficulty & without any exceptional circumstances.

A PPR is a different proposition of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Agree with April, its not a necessity on investment properties, as to whether its useful, that depends on your estate planning. Are your dependents suitably provided for if the property is sold and the proceeds used to pay the mortgage, or do you want the property mortgage free to form part of your estate?

Advertisement