Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Data Charge

Options
  • 04-02-2015 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

Usually keep data off and use wifi to lower risk of credit disappearing.

But i decided turn on data and check out some apps to get on my phone outside of a wifi connection.

Was charge €18.80 for downloading 1 free youtube app.

Was onto customer support and they explained its 99 cent for the first 50mb and 99 per mb after.

So in meteor land, 156mb = €18.80.

In this age, how is that allowed?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes, it's allowed.

Do you not have a data package? Surely you can buy a data package for your tariff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Paulw wrote: »
    Yes, it's allowed.

Do you not have a data package? Surely you can buy a data package for your tariff?
    No, I'm happy with my legacy package (€20 extra free+free texts to any network for a month when topped up with €20).

The packages they advertise now, take your credit in exchange. They also advertise them as FREE*. :pac:

I just thought extortionate prices for data were a thing of the past. Seems the same type of value from the 90s...

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I just thought extortionate prices for data were a thing of the past. Seems the same type of value from the 90s...

Your options are simple - move to a tariff with a data package, or pay their charges for data on your current tariff.

Their price details are publicised on their website, so are very clear. It is your choice to use data, and hence pay those fees.

Your options are simple - move to a tariff with a data package, or pay their charges for data on your current tariff.

Their price details are publicised on their website, so are very clear. It is your choice to use data, and hence pay those fees.
    Do you think it's a fair price i paid?

Do you think it's a fair price i paid?

I'm not sure what "fair" has to do with it.

A tax on water isn't fair. The USC we pay isn't fair. The high rate of VAT and PAYE isn't fair. The cold weather lately isn't fair. The fact that I haven't seen snow when others are snowed in isn't fair. The Euro-Dollar exchange rate lately isn't fair, when I have a holiday booked to the US. The list goes on and on.

Sometimes, life just isn't fair, but it is what it is.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what "fair" has to do with it.

A tax on water isn't fair. The USC we pay isn't fair. The high rate of VAT and PAYE isn't fair. The cold weather lately isn't fair. The fact that I haven't seen snow when others are snowed in isn't fair. The Euro-Dollar exchange rate lately isn't fair, when I have a holiday booked to the US. The list goes on and on.

Sometimes, life just isn't fair, but it is what it is.
    Fair has everything to do with it.

You wouldn't pay €5 for a litre of milk would you?

Are the charges inline with EU regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Are the charges inline with EU regulations?
    If the prices are clearly displayed for anyone to check then they are fair, they may not be good value but that does not make it unfair. You have the choice to not use the service (or buy that litre of milk).

What EU regulations do you think apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

This isn't really a consumer issue. It's a high price for the amount of data used, however as pointed out above the information on costs is available on their site. Meteor can charge what they like for using their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

One thing I've learnt about Meteor is they are rip off merchants! I was a customer for 10 years and they over charged me on a few bills, I cried to the high hilt and they have me a refund of €650 last year. Once my contract is up next month, I will never be a Meteor customer again. Their customer care is a disgrace too. Read the fine print carefully, see how much the extra charges are if you go over your data. This is how they are making their money. Or else go to a different network who offer unlimited data with a €20 top up.

Mod: Let's not turn this into a Meteor bashing thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Is the maximum per megabyte charge not 25c since 1st July 2014?

http://www.askcomreg.ie/news/reduced_roaming_rates_from_1_july_2014.7.1082.LE.asp

power101 wrote: »
    Is the maximum per megabyte charge not 25c since 1st July 2014?

http://www.askcomreg.ie/news/reduced_roaming_rates_from_1_july_2014.7.1082.LE.asp
    Only apples when roaming abroad. It does not apply to charges incurred in your home country.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Only apples when roaming abroad. It does not apply to charges incurred in your home country.
    Yea, same with any wiki entries on EU Regulations, all to do with abroad charges.

So there are no regulations on data in Ireland?

Yea, same with any wiki entries on EU Regulations, all to do with abroad charges.

So there are no regulations on data in Ireland?
    From looking at ComReg's site the only price caps are in relation to fixed line services (probably because Eircom own most of the infrastructure). Mobile data pricing seems to be a free competitive market.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Without a data package in place, data charges can be high. This is probably mainly to encourage people to take out data packages, which is regular monthly revenue for the phone operator.

It's not pleasant, but as long as the charges are clearly published, there's nothing wrong with this.

It does go back to the principle that you should know how much a service will cost before you consume it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

You're not buying just milk though.

You've been given a choice on how you want to buy your tea.

Option A has the boiling water for free, and €1 for the teabags, with milk for €5.
    Option B has water at €1, teabags at €2 and milk for €1 .

The first deal only makes sense when you don't take milk in your tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm currently a Meteor customer and pay 30 euro per month for unlimited everything on my phone. It's a great deal and has saved my over 40 euro per month so far. My only gripe is that MMS isn't included for some reason but I don't send that many as WhatsApp is data and therefore free on my PAYG plan.

Granted by "unlimited" they actually mean 7.5GB but that's still a good deal because I use it a lot. I currently pay Three 25 euro per month for that allowance on their BB package on 4G. I used to top up 3 or 4 times per month on Meteor with 20 euro before this arrived.

Read the T&C's and stay within them.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

All the network charge high amounts for data usage outside a bundle, as another poster mentioned it's to get you to select a bundle.

If you're currently getting unlimited texts and calls and keeping the credit why not add on a data bundle?

Alternatively you could go for one of these plans:

http://www.meteor.ie/pay-as-you-go/simply-top-up/

Jeez, I sound like a Meteor rep ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

In the right circumstances, yes i would.

In fact I probably do as I buy boxes of little UHT cups for the staff canteen and I reckon it costs more than €5 a litre.

Same way with data - if you use it regularly, you can buy bundle or included it. If you use it rarely expect to pay a high price for the time you use it.

delahuntv wrote: »
    In the right circumstances, yes i would.

In fact I probably do as I buy boxes of little UHT cups for the staff canteen and I reckon it costs more than €5 a litre.

Same way with data - if you use it regularly, you can buy bundle or included it. If you use it rarely expect to pay a high price for the time you use it.
    Well lets take some perspective then.

I'm talking €5 for a 1 litre of Avonmore full fat milk.

The same way I'm talking about a 3G wireless connection.

Nothing revolutionary or OTT there.

Just seems like bullyboy tactics to go in for one of these 'bundles' which aren't great value in themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Then move to another network, this is hardly a consumer issue?

For reference here are the other primary operator out of bundle charges:

Three: €1.01 per MB
    O2: charged €1 per day for any usage up to 50MB. If you use more than 50MB you’ll be charged €1 for every additional MB used.
    Vodafone: €1.99 per day for 100MB, then €1 per MB thereafter

Advertisement