Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrective Jaw surgery?

Options
  • 04-02-2015 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

At my last visit my dentist asked me about my jaw and if it clicks when I open my mouth etc. I told him it does and it's pretty obvious that when I close my mouth my teeth don't sit together correctly.

At the time I brushed it off and said it wasn't a problem for me so I don't want to get anything done to fix it. But since then I've changed my mind.

Just out of curiosity, is this a dental issue or should I be speaking to an Orthodontist or a Plastic Surgery consultant?

I think my teeth are good, it's just my jaw thats a bit off. Can anybody give me advice as to who I should visit so I don't end up wasting €60 on a dental visit when I should be elsewhere.

Also, any idea of costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It's called orthognathic surgery . Often carried out by maxillofacial surgeons .

Your teeth not meeting is called malocclusion . Some braces can help correct malocclusion however only to a certain point . Beyond that point if you want to fix your malocclusion you will need corrective jaw surgery .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Amica

Does anybody have any idea how much that kind of surgery can cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

Amica wrote: »
    Does anybody have any idea how much that kind of surgery can cost?

Seems to be around the €5000 mark from what I've gathered from googling it.

Advertisement