Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching provider but uncertain of address permanency

Options
  • 04-02-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of the service I'm getting from Eircom and have been a broadband customer of theirs for 4 years. Living in a rental I've afraid to enter into any new contracts with other providers in case we move within 12 months.

Simple question-
    Is change of address sufficient to terminate say a 12 month contract with a broadband provider or can I be pursued to honour the contract even if we move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I'm sick of the service I'm getting from Eircom and have been a broadband customer of theirs for 4 years. Living in a rental I've afraid to enter into any new contracts with other providers in case we move within 12 months.

Simple question-
    Is change of address sufficient to terminate say a 12 month contract with a broadband provider or can I be pursued to honour the contract even if we move?

They will look to provide it at your new address and continue on the contract. If it's not possible to provide the service most companies will terminate the contract without penalty. Sky do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    They will look to provide it at your new address and continue on the contract. If it's not possible to provide the service most companies will terminate the contract without penalty. Sky do this.

Cheers. It'd be my intention to continue the contract if it was available. But haven't ruled out a move to the sticks so continuity of service may be an issue.

I was looking at Sky anyway, so that's a feather in their cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Duffff-Man wrote: »

I'd check with the company, and get it in writing before signing up. I was in a similar situation, got broadband from Smart Telecom, wasn't sure if I'd be at the address for a year, and they said they'd transfer the contract to a new address or waive it if they had no coverage in the area.

Then when I moved 8 months later and contacted them about changing address, they were trying to charge me for the remainder of the contract until I produced the original email I had from them.

Advertisement