Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live in Landlord - I feel like a guest

Options
  • 03-02-2015 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I rent a room in a house with live in landlord.

I realised when I moved in it would be different from renting but recently I'm starting to wonder if it was such a good idea.

The homeowner moves my stuff when she cleans and this is really disconcerting to me. For example, if I leave anything on the kitchen counter, she puts it away pretty sharpish. Once she cleaned my bathroom (the main bathroom is used by me only) but I went in and told her I had already cleaned it myself. She hasn't done it since. I found this really invasive.

I don't feel at home when she's around. She recently told me she doesn't like clutter and to not take offence when she cleans up. I didn't tell her then that it bothers me as I am picking my battles and trying to work with the pros and cons of living with the landlord.

I don't feel comfortable spending time with her as I'm always wondering if she's watching me as I tidy about or cook.

I don't have enough for a deposit yet but my long term dream is a place of my own.
    I'm wondering if I should give it more time or think about moving.

Have you been in this situation or are you an owner occupier who could give your perspective?

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Am I reading this right? You're complaining that your housemate, who is also your landlord likes to clean the common areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Sounds like its you that has the problem, for a start, if they live in their own home,they are not a land lord, and you rent a room, that's it, you are essentially a guest.
    This person has said not to mind their cleaning up, yet you seem to want to insist to pick your battles?
    What matter if they are tidy and clean a bathroom used mainly by you, I suspect this isn't your bathroom only if its the main one, either way, its their bathroom, and I really don't see the concern unless they ordered you to clean the bathroom as they considered it not left in a good state where it was of normal or acceptable condition,besides, what you think passes as clean may not be.
    I rented rooms I the past, and what people thought was acceptable and what I thought differed greatly, one guy smashed a glass no big deal, **** happens, in thought he cleaned it up, but found he'd left an upturned broken glass and a load of broken shards for anyone to come along and tear flesh off, I went up and told him to sort it, he said he'd do it later as he was tired, cut a long story short, he cleaned it up, but didn't last, he used to leave the bathroom filthy too.
    He had no comprehension that any of what he did was any concern.
    I've had actual tenants, clean up before they leave, never has one ever left it to a standard I considered acceptable that I would accept myself, so I always ended up cleaning it.maybe you are very clean, but this person owns the house, what of it if they decide to do that every night instead of sitting down to corrie, sounds to me like you have the problems, if you're bothered about what other people do, you need somewhere on your own, that is without owner occupiers or co tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

She can turf you out on your ear with little or no notice so I would be keeping her sweet and would comment often on how her cleaning has the place shining!

She is not a Landlady and you are not a tenant, you are a licensee and have just about no rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

It sounds like she has higher standards of cleanliness than you and instead of imposing her views on you and nagging you to clean more, she is doing it herself. Id love to leave with someone like that!

The main bathroom of the house is just that, the main bathroom. Its not yours, its there for her or any of her guests to use.
    You should be glad that she cleans it and doesn't make you do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Guess the OP didn't like the advice given and has closed their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ongarite wrote: »
    Guess the OP didn't like the advice given and has closed their account.
    Hrm. Rage quit?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

the_syco wrote: »
    Hrm. Rage quit?

Nah. Landlady noticed it was open, and closed it off for her. All nice and tidy like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement