Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of CCTV inside Private Residence

Options
  • 03-02-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All,

Is one allowed to install CCTV in ones own home and record tradesmen / service providers etc when they are in the home carrying out business ?

It seems the legislation in Ireland according to the DPC allows this - specifically this section from the DPC site seems to suggest that :

Domestic use of CCTV systems.

The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system - for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded - may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Drone808 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is one allowed to install CCTV in ones own home and record tradesmen / service providers etc when they are in the home carrying out business ?

It seems the legislation in Ireland according to the DPC allows this - specifically this section from the DPC site seems to suggest that :

Domestic use of CCTV systems.

The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system - for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded - may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.]

It is your premises if you want to install anything. The neighbour can have an issue if you are recording there property. Most cases camera can be set up to not view beyond a boundry wall to prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Drone808

We are renting so I'm guessing it's considered our home. Only internal facing cameras - no outside coverage of house or neighbours areas involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Drone808 wrote: »
    We are renting so I'm guessing it's considered our home. Only internal facing cameras - no outside coverage of house or neighbours areas involved.

I would not assume anything.
    The data commission are very helpful with any inquiries tho ;)

altor wrote: »
    data commission are very helpful with any inquiries tho ;)

I've mailed them :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the purpose is to record people working on the property I would say they would need to be informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

KoolKid wrote: »
    If the purpose is to record people working on the property I would say they would need to be informed.

They do as far as I am aware there needs to be a warning sign up about CCTV recording.

JillyQ wrote: »
    They do as far as I am aware there needs to be a warning sign up about CCTV recording.

That's not the purpose lol But that could obviously happen.

Advertisement