Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harper Lee to publish new novel - 55 years after To Kill A Mockingbird

• 03-02-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

This is incredible news.

Harper Lee is publishing a new novel this summer, Go Set A Watchman, which will feature Scout as an adult, who reportedly returns home to visit Atticus!

The Guardian takes up the story:
    The shock news will delight the 88-year-old’s millions of fans, who have waited for a second novel from Lee since 1960, when she released her debut, To Kill a Mockingbird, the tale of racism in the American south which has captivated readers ever since.

Lee said in an announcement from her publisher, Penguin Random House, that she completed Go Set a Watchman in the mid-1950s, but set it aside after the publication of her debut and never returned to it. “It features the character known as Scout as an adult woman and I thought it a pretty decent effort,” said the reclusive writer. “My editor, who was taken by the flashbacks to Scout’s childhood, persuaded me to write a novel from the point of view of the young Scout. I was a first-time writer, so I did as I was told.”

Lee said today that she “hadn’t realised” the book had survived, “so was surprised and delighted when my dear friend and lawyer Tonja Carter discovered it”. Carter found the manuscript, said the publisher, “in a secure location where it had been affixed to an original typescript of To Kill a Mockingbird”.

“After much thought and hesitation I shared it with a handful of people I trust and was pleased to hear that they considered it worthy of publication. I am humbled and amazed that this will now be published after all these years,” she finished.

UK and Commonwealth rights in the book were acquired by Penguin Random House chief executive Tom Weldon from Andrew Nurnberg of Andrew Nurnberg Associates. It will be published under the William Heinemann imprint - which originally published To Kill a Mockingbird, all those years ago - on 14 July this year.

The publisher revealed that the mid-1950s-set work features Scout’s father, Atticus, as well as other characters from Lee’s debut. Set 20 years on, it sees Scout return to Maycomb from New York to visit her father. “She is forced to grapple with issues both personal and political as she tries to understand both her father’s attitude toward society, and her own feelings about the place where she was born and spent her childhood,” said the publisher.

“To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the most important and enduring books on the Penguin Random House lists and it is no surprise that time and again it is voted best loved by both the reading public and by educators,” said Weldon. “The story of this first book – both parent to To Kill a Mockingbird and rather wonderfully acting as its sequel – is fascinating. The publication of Go Set a Watchman will be a major event and millions of fans around the world will have the chance to reacquaint themselves with Scout, her father Atticus and the prejudices and claustrophobia of that small town in Alabama Harper Lee conjures so brilliantly.”

His colleague Susan Sandon predicted that, like To Kill a Mockingbird, Go Set a Watchman is “destined to speak to generations of readers”. “Immersing oneself anew in the rhythms and cadences of Harper Lee’s rich prose and meeting Scout fully grown makes for an irresistible read which also casts new light on one of the most popular classics of modern literature,” she said.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/03/harper-lee-new-novel-to-kill-a-mockingbird

I'm blown away by this news. To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my favourite novels of all time and reading the story when I was quite young had a profound effect on me.

I wonder how it will hold up compared to the original? I'll definitely be buying it anyway.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

its crazy this book existed but has never seen the light of day until now. the fact it was written before tkamb is crazy as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm looking forward to reading it

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

This is amazing! Can't wait :D A reclusive writer by all accounts on her last legs puts another book out there...

It's a good thing I'm not one for conspiracy theories

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Okay... count me in! Where can I pre-order :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I am not even sure if I'll buy it as To Kill a Mockingbird was so good I'd hate to be disappointed with a follow up book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I really do hope it's a good book.:) It funny how some authors write one book that does really well and then never realise anything else. She probably just as aware of the hype and expectations that will surround the book maybe that's why she decided never to go ahead with getting it published.

When I saw this news on twitter a few days ago, I felt certain it was a hoax. To think that a sequel exists is almost too fanciful. I was even more surprised to learn that Harper Lee hadn't yet kicked the bucket. Hard to believe TKAM was written and lived-in by a woman who still inhabits our world. Good on her.

When I saw this news on Twitter a few days ago, I felt certain it was a hoax. To think that a sequel exists is almost too fanciful. I was even more surprised to learn that Harper Lee hadn't yet kicked the bucket. Hard to believe TKAM was written and lived-in by a woman who still inhabits our world. Good on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I should probably read To Kill A Mockingbird again. We "studied" it for school so I never really got too interested in it or thought much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

When I saw this news on Twitter a few days ago, I felt certain it was a hoax. To think that a sequel exists is almost too fanciful. I was even more surprised to learn that Harper Lee hadn't yet kicked the bucket. Hard to believe TKAM was written and lived-in by a woman who still inhabits our world. Good on her.

She actually wrote this book FIRST. It's weird, but from what I've read, she wrote this first and then decided to ignore it. Later on, she wrote TKAMB. This is supposed to be happening some 20 years after TKAMB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The official release date is July 14th. Can't wait to read it.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

From what I've read about it, I probably will not be buying it.

Are you referring to what The Guardian amongst others revealed about the plot? I'll spoiler what I'm talking about...
    Reportedly Atticus Finch is a racist in the book

That's what I'm referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There is something very suspicious about this - the fact that it had remained unpublished for 50 years and that the
    moral center of Atticus' character
    was completely changed in her next novel that was actually published suggests she never intended it to see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭budgemook

Have this waiting on my Kindle to start when I get home from work.

Originally I was very much looking forward to it but of course I heard the spoiler (New York Times broke the review embargo last week) and am now quite dubious like most.

We'll see though, hopefully it's good but I can't see how something like that would be explained. Especially as this book was written first and basically discarded.

I hope there isn't something nefarious involved with the publishing of this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

There is something very dodgy about the publication of this book especially considering Harper Lee's supposed health these days. I just hope the book doesn't tarnish the legacy of one of the greatest books and indeed one of the greatest literary characters of all time, especially if it's because of greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

Third book just announced.........

CKIpEV5UwAAHDOC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's just been announced that Harper Lee has died, at 89: the news is on the front page at BBC News and others. No more books, then.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

It's hard to shake the nagging feeling that she was taken advantage of in her final years. One would hope that was not the case. Will we ever know for sure? I just hope her final years were enjoyable.

Whenever I'm asked for my favourite book I tend to answer To Kill a Mockingbird. It had a big effect on me. That is the book she will be remembered for anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement