Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large mound on lawn

Options
  • 03-02-2015 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Myself and the wife have been househunting for a few months and we've now found a place that's as near perfect for our needs as we are going to get. Quite a long back garden, too, which is a nice bonus.

Half way down the garden there is a large, hard mound, about 3 ft wide, 1.5 ft high. I thought nothing of this until a friend suggested that it could indicate a flood risk. An underground river flooding and pushing the soil up. There is an underground river in the area, but from the info I can gather online, it doesn't appear to go directly under the property.

Anyone got any experience or thoughts on this kind of thing? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Can't help, sorry, but curious as to where you want to get details of the underground river?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Could it be a covered tree stump that the owners didnt bother grinding out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I live near an underground - culverted - river, and there's no associated raising of the ground. I can't see how it could create that lump without it slumping again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

probably just a load of soil that was pushed into a mound and left there either on purpose ( i know someone who did this, the kids liked running down it) or when they were clean the garden and it was easier then taking it away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I had one almost that size in my garden when we moved in - wasn't until I stuck a spade in it and saw zillions of ants coming out that I realised it was an ant hill....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Mother in Law?

or family pet?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,109 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A very large mole. Or ginormous worm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

looksee wrote: »
    A very large mole. Or ginormous worm.

We don't have moles here in Ireland even small ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP you can check the old ordinance survey maps in the area and find out where the river/stream ran before it got put in a culvert. www.osi.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,109 ✭✭✭✭looksee

my3cents wrote: »
    We don't have moles here in Ireland even small ones.

Can you be absolutely certain that no-one brought in moles and did genetic experiments on them so they grew huge and escaped...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Fairy fort!

Ask the estate agent op. They could probably find out of the previous owners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the estate agent has no benefit in telling you anything except what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

Go for a second viewing and specifically ask what it is !

Advertisement