Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky for broadband in Trim?

Options
  • 03-02-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone has Sky broadband (non fibre) in Trim and what their experiences might be. I was kinda ready to move over to them but i've read a thread over on the broadband forum which sounded like nightmarish stuff. Allowing that the instance which was reported may be isolated, I would appreciate if anyone would share their experience of having Sky as a broadband service provider. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Hey folks, just wondering if anyone has Sky broadband (non fibre) in Trim and what their experiences might be. I was kinda ready to move over to them but i've read a thread over on the broadband forum which sounded like nightmarish stuff. Allowing that the instance which was reported may be isolated, I would appreciate if anyone would share their experience of having Sky as a broadband service provider. Thanks.

I'm based in Trim and have their standard (not fibre) broadband and found it to be excellent. 8-10 meg download speeds and it always seems to be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I swapped over to them last week for non fibre broadband and phone.

Not impressed so far... i have had no phone or BB for 7 days now even though i had faultless service with eircom for years. Basically, i have no dial tone - the line is dead.

After numerous calls to the 0818 call centre number (at 20 cent a min!) im still nowhere as they have told me its eircoms fault for a failed connection. They are looking into it and told be it could be another week.

I just banged off an email to comreg to see if they can give them a kick in the ass.

Access wrote: »
    I swapped over to them last week for non fibre broadband and phone.

Not impressed so far... i have had no phone or BB for 7 days now even though i had faultless service with eircom for years. Basically, i have no dial tone - the line is dead.

After numerous calls to the 0818 call centre number (at 20 cent a min!) im still nowhere as they have told me its eircoms fault for a failed connection. They are looking into it and told be it could be another week.

I just banged off an email to comreg to see if they can give them a kick in the ass.

Small consolation, but as a Sky telco customer, calls to the sky number are not charged.

greendom wrote: »
    Small consolation, but as a Sky telco customer, calls to the sky number are not charged.

That is correct - but since the line is not connected at all i have to use my mobile to ring them at 20 cent a minute.

That is correct - but since the line is not connected at all i have to use my mobile to ring them at 20 cent a minute.

arse! have you used the Sky Talk to Forum on boards - they may be able to help with your broadband issue

• Advertisement

arse! have you used the Sky Talk to Forum on boards - they may be able to help with your broadband issue

Exactly what point are you saying "arse" to?

Exactly what point are you saying "arse" to?

That you are being charged every time you call Sky - where I was trying to provide some consolation. You could probably use it for your whole situation though!

Ancatdubh... id say you will be fine, but im just pointing out the problems i have had so far with them, its just something to bear in mind.

As for their "talk to section" - its a joke! i just got a PM letting me know that due to data protection, i can only get help from them by ringing them.

Ancatdubh... id say you will be fine, but im just pointing out the problems i have had so far with them, its just something to bear in mind.

As for their "talk to section" - its a joke! i just got a PM letting me know that due to data protection, i can only get help from them by ringing them.

That's pretty pointless then (Boards Talk to Sky section)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

That you are being charged every time you call Sky

Its ok, I got that too :pac:

That's a bit of a crap situation for you Access - hope you get sorted and you get free wheelin like greendom.

The Sky offer is substantially better than what I have on Eircom even when coupled with a Tesco Mobile unlimited PAYG to cover "out of contract/plan" mobile use which i have or would have irrespective of what provider I go with. I am likely to be saving up to €300 in a year so its well worth looking into for me. Like Access, I've been one of the eircom customers who have next to never had any issue with them - maybe one broadband thing since broadband became a thing.

Access - If I could enquire if you were out of contract for a time with Eircom or like me, did you receive your "we're charging you more - but please be happy about it" letter with the option to end your Eircom contract within 30days of the letter itself as they broke your original contract - which is what I'm considering doing - End contract and go to Sky.

I wonder is it something to do with the wind up from one provider to take on by the other? And if so would I be better winding eircom up continuing being a customer and a month later make the move. (Damn it, you shouldn't have to though :mad:).

Thanks (and hope its not too much of your personal business to be enquiring about)

• Advertisement

Its ok, I got that too :pac:

That's a bit of a crap situation for you Access - hope you get sorted and you get free wheelin like greendom.

The Sky offer is substantially better than what I have on Eircom even when coupled with a Tesco Mobile unlimited PAYG to cover "out of contract/plan" mobile use which i have or would have irrespective of what provider I go with. I am likely to be saving up to €300 in a year so its well worth looking into for me. Like Access, I've been one of the eircom customers who have next to never had any issue with them - maybe one broadband thing since broadband became a thing.

Access - If I could enquire if you were out of contract for a time with Eircom or like me, did you receive your "we're charging you more - but please be happy about it" letter with the option to end your Eircom contract within 30days of the letter itself as they broke your original contract - which is what I'm considering doing - End contract and go to Sky.

I wonder is it something to do with the wind up from one provider to take on by the other? And if so would I be better winding eircom up continuing being a customer and a month later make the move. (Damn it, you shouldn't have to though :mad:).

Thanks (and hope its not too much of your personal business to be enquiring about)

In my opinion, eircom are sneaky... Or at least their customer retention department are... When you are coming to the end of your contract with eircom, they will ring you but not tell you that you are close to your contract end and they will offer you X amount off your bill for three or six months. Then you get locked in to another contract for a year again.

Thats fine if you want to stay with them... But last time they rang last year my other half answered the phone and even though she said she would pass on the info to me as im the one named on the bill they took her word to renew the contract even though she didnt say go ahead with that deal! I complained and contacted comreg but they never got anywhere with it as they couldnt retrieve the recorded call!
    I was out of contract this time for phone and bb, so no problem there, and i am saving about 240 for the year switching to sky, but 9 days on now and no phone or bb!

On a sidenote, when i told eircom i was leabing, they did drop their price but it was still cheaper to switch to sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Sky Ireland: Rebecca T

Hi Access,
    Thanks again for your post. I have now reviewed the PM and I can completely see that the information we provided was not very clear.
    I would like to confirm what we meant when we mentioned Data Protection. As this was our first interaction with you, we did not have your account details. As we cannot request account details through PMs as per the Boards.ie terms of service we could not access your account to provide you with an update on your issue. In order for us to investigate this and to confirm that we are speaking to the account holder (or authorised user) we would need to speak to you. Hence, the request of details to call you other than your landline as we were under the impression that this was not working.
    I hope this clarifies the issue for you and to reiterate we are more than willing to assist you in this matter. If you would like to reply to our last PM we would be more than happy to look at this for you.
    Again, I would like to apologise for the misinformation on our end.
    Many thanks,
    Rebecca

Just an update for AnCatDubh and others on here...

After 2 weeks of joining with sky from eircom, with no phone line/dial tone/broadband service from sky, numerous calls to the 0818 number (with call costs amounting to about 15 euro @ 20 cent a min from my mobile) and having dealt with different reps each time each telling me different stories on why i didnt have service yet, I finally got through to a rep who knew his stuff, who didnt give excuses and got everything sorted within a few hours.

Sky seem to use BT Ireland for its telephony services and eircom is thrown into the mix as well and for any issue to be solved/sorted, those three companies have to talk to each other and in my case, that seemed to go out the window over the two weeks from joining. All the technicians that rang me back were from eircom.

Its all sorted now, but if you are joining/thinking of joining sky for phone or broadband, just be aware that while my case might be extreme, that sentence they use - "there might be a slight interruption of service while we change you over from your previous phone supplier", means that it might take a few hours or a few weeks.

Im also surprised that the sky rep replied on here to my particular issue, on another persons thread in the Meath forum and not directly to the thread i had in the talk to sky forum on boards?!?

Ok, thanks to Access for the info provided. To update on my scenario should it be of any benefit to anyone else considering a move - I've just made the move to Sky and um..., painless entirely is how i'd describe my experience of moving. Sky fibre became available too as an added bonus and it happened at the right time for me.

Process took about 10 days or so from the initial call. It involved a visit from a sky engineer/technician to do the phone line thing (due to it being fibre product offering), but it turned out that this was already complete from previous Eircom works.

On the initial call to Sky, I was give an appointed date for the visit to happen and there were update texts and a call from the guy himself on the day before he arrived to say he'd be there. A couple of days later and my previous provider's service stopped (as the Sky technician said it would), and I then plugged the Sky hub into the telephone service and bingo it all worked perfectly and seamlessly.

The telephone service transfers afterwords within a few days. I'm unsure whether this has actually happened or not or even as to how I would know if it did (i'm assuming it has).

The Sky (fibre) service itself is working fine. The speed appears to fluctuate a bit - as good as 80Mbit or as poor as 25Mbit (as our previous provider's line speed maxed out at 6(ish) at best, and 1.5 when poor, even the poor side of the new service (25Mbit) is amazing to us). We have a heavy use of the internet in the household so this is really important to us.

So, good news all round for me, plus i'm reckoning that i'll be making savings of ~ €300 a year by doing the shop around that I did. Again, thanks to Access for the info given.

Anyhow, TLDR. Did the switch. Works fine. No issues. Happy with the switch as of now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The speed appears to fluctuate a bit - as good as 80Mbit or as poor as 25Mbit

Speeds I can only dream of up our end of town.......

Glad the swap over to sky was better for you than me! - and that all is running well now.

Not everyone will have a bad experience like me, but just wanted the info out there so people know what can go wrong when doing a swap over.

Glad the swap over to sky was better for you than me! - and that all is running well now.

Not everyone will have a bad experience like me, but just wanted the info out there so people know what can go wrong when doing a swap over.

Knowing the experience wasn't so good for others was actually incredibly useful as I waited until an opportune time presented itself where we wouldn't have been adversely affected by an undue delay in swapping over (needed to get some exam stuff out of the way).

Advertisement