Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the Nissan Qashqai (1.6 P 2008 sve) a reliable car?

Options
  • 03-02-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

We are currently changing from my wife's 2 door Mini to a Qashqai (1.6 petrol 2008 sve). I spotted a good deal in a garage. High enough mileage but with ok price 170K km @ 8000 euro.

It is very clean and drives well but I'm just a bit worried about the mileage. Do Qashqai's give much trouble after 100K miles (161K km)? Also does the 1.6 petrol have a chain or timing belt?

Any input appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dub lad

The 1.6 has a chain I only bought one in November have to say very nice car to drive and good space but not a lot of power mine is been given back to the garige I got it from as it was crashed repaird and only found out but I will be buying another one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The engine is a relatively antiquated unit by today's standards with its lack of a turbocharger and other expensive things to go wrong, so I wouldn't be bothered by the mileage (it's not that high anyway).

Make sure it has a full (and verifiable) service history, though, and make sure it's in good condition inside and out, as the condition of a car is always an indicator as to whether or not it's been looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mcgiv80

Thanks for your post dub_lad, I'm happy with the space and high back seats. I noticed the power wasn't the best, dead enough taking off but they are safe for the missus and baby. Just wondering if they give trouble after 100K miles. Best of luck with buying the next one.

The engine is a relatively antiquated unit by today's standards with its lack of a turbocharger and other expensive things to go wrong, so I wouldn't be bothered by the mileage (it's not that high anyway).

Make sure it has a full (and verifiable) service history, though, and make sure it's in good condition inside and out, as the condition of a car is always an indicator as to whether or not it's been looked after.

Thanks, very useful info. The mileage was my main worry. The car is in very good condition so at the surface it looks like it was looked after. I will look into the service history

The sve has extra features like sunroof, cruise control and auto wipers (think this is extra from se model) so it is looking like a winner..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Timing chains can stretch on these engines afaik. Make sure to have a mechanic inspect the car before buying.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Timing chains can stretch on these engines afaik. Make sure to have a mechanic inspect the car before buying.

Thanks, I will definitely get my mechanic to give the car a once over. I have a chain in my car (2005 mazda 3 1.6 petrol). It has done 140K km and hasn't given any trouble but I haven't had it looked at. Is there a point (after certain distance traveled) when a chain needs to be tightened/serviced/replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No, you generally only know if it's stretched by the sound from the engine. The engine will have a rattle sound to it. Chain would most likely need to be replaced at that stage. Timing chains in theory are supposed to last the lifetime of the engine but a stretched chain can be as a result of a poor design/quality or lack of servicing (regular oil changes).

Advertisement