Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modelling clay

Options
  • 03-02-2015 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on modelling clay...
    I am a beginner and I am interested in making pottery - will need to use air drying type clay as don't have proper equipment.

Can anyone recommend best type/brand of clay to use?
    What paint would be suitable for decorating?
    What varnish would be suitable?

For those who have done this - do you just paint and when dry, do you paint varnish over the paint? Or do you spray?

All advise and tips welcome.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭callee

It depends on what you want to do.
    You can get large bags of generic air drying clay, maybe this is a good start as they are very cheap, not too easy to work with as they have a tendency to crack and its a bit difficult to attach parts together. It usually dries grey, although it is possible to get other colours. Going up in price you can but a soft white (also comes in other colours) air-drying clay usually in 1kg bags which is somewhat easier to work with. Then there are the well known polymer clays such a Fimo, Cernit etc, more expensive again but come in a variety of colours. Although these clays are considered safe to use some of them do contain phthalates. No air-dry clay is food safe as far as I'm aware. I have used acrylic paints on air-dry clay, poster paints are not ideal. Enamel paints can also be used. As for varnishes, I have used Nail varnish (it was all that was available), PVA glue, decopatch glues, mod podge and general decorating varnishes(cheaper than purpose made varnishes). Try some varnish on a small piece first, some have a yellowing effect which is useful if you want an aged look, some have a detrimental on particular types of clay resulting in a sludgey mess and not all varnish finishes are suitable for outdoor use.

Advertisement