Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to clean out a Bluetit nest?

Options
  • 03-02-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a nest box like this under a roof gutter on my garden shed.

o7mweo.jpg

It was occupied by a pair of bluetit's last year and after they left I forgot to take it down and clean out the nest bedding etc.

I now notice a pair of bluetits back in the garden near the next and I'm wondering whether I should leave it alone or take it down, clean it out and put it back so they can occupy it? FYI I haven't seen them enter it yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Take it down this week and get it back up quickly. It will be all the better for being cleaned out. Just take the old nest out at this stage. Don't use any cleaning products on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Take it down this week and get it back up quickly. It will be all the better for being cleaned out. Just take the old nest out at this stage. Don't use any cleaning products on it.

Cheers, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is there any way of enticing Blue Tits into my bird box, I have it up for two years now with no takers, they fly in and out of the box but never nest there, its mounted high up at the back of the house and I don't understand why they are not nesting in it.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Is there any way of enticing Blue Tits into my bird box, I have it up for two years now with no takers, they fly in and out of the box but never nest there, its mounted high up at the back of the house and I don't understand why they are not nesting in it.

Place the box between 1 and 3 metres high and facing north east or north. Avoid foliage blocking the entrance hole.

Place the box between 1 and 3 metres high and facing north east or north. Avoid foliage blocking the entrance hole.

It's 2.5m up and facing about 2 degrees east of due north.

I'll get it cleaned out in a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I have one up thats facing west and it was used last year by a pair of blue tits

I have one up thats facing west and it was used last year by a pair of blue tits

I was giving the idea. It's not cast in stone but generally south and west facing boxes get too much sunlight and heat - thus leading to the death of many chicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I was giving the idea. It's not cast in stone but generally south and west facing boxes get too much sunlight and heat - thus leading to the death of many chicks.

Should I move it then?

Should I move it then?

If it was successful last year, when it was so warm, I'd leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

How many Bluetit boxes would you put up in the average Garden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

TRNIALL wrote: »
    How many Bluetit boxes would you put up in the average Garden.

Peoples idea of what the average garden is varies hugely!
    It depends on the size of the garden and the amount of natural nesting No need to go overboard - 2 nextboxes put it correctly are better than 10 boxes put up all over the place!

No need to go overboard - 2 nextboxes put it correctly are better than 10 boxes put up all over the place!

Would 2 boxes quite close to each other (6 feet apart) on the same garage wall/under the same roof gutter be a good/bad idea?

I've one box up too high on the house which I could relocate close to a 2nd box which has been used before and is the right height and facing the right direction.

For Blue or Great Tits this is not a good idea. Although not territorial they will squabble over nest sites. You could put boxes for different species near enough to each other however.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

BenEadir wrote: »
    Would 2 boxes quite close to each other (6 feet apart) on the same garage wall/under the same roof gutter be a good/bad idea?

I've one box up too high on the house which I could relocate close to a 2nd box which has been used before and is the right height and facing the right direction.

Bad idea for Blue Tits - they're territorial so they wont nest that close to each other! If anything it might cause problems if another bird did look to use it!

Advertisement