Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help with editing audio?

Options
  • 03-02-2015 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

A friend asked me to try to "clean-up" some audio he recorded from a local event - a public speech to be exact. The audio had a lot of background/crowd noise, but I managed to get a good bit out with Audacity. I tried posting on their forum, but it blocked me for some reason and I cannot get a reply about why.

Anyway, does anyone want to try making this audio sound a little clearer, or give advice on how to brighten the dull, flat sound of the audio? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

what did you do in audacity? i'd start with eq'ing it, but if the background noise is mostly other voices it may be difficult to cut these without also cutting the voice you want to hear. hard to say without hearing it. background noise is easier to remove if if it's mainly in a different frequency to what you want to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Inquisition

Thanks. I tried two separate ways. In one version I used the noise removal filter and the EQ to get the original audio clearer and louder. In the second version I used advice I found on a forum that involved splitting the stereo track and editing each one slightly.

Is there a way to upload audio? If I can post/link to it, you could hear part of it and my subsequent edits to see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Really depends on the state of the original audio. You could upload a partial sample to Soundcloud.

In Audacity I've started levelling and clean up with process of: normalize, noise removal, noise gate, dynamic compressor, optional: noise gate again.

The Audacity plugins for noise gate and compression I use are 3rd party:

noisegate.ny from Steve Daulton: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist_Effect_Plugins#Noise_Gate

Chris’s Dynamic Compressor: http://theaudacitytopodcast.com/chriss-dynamic-compressor-plugin-for-audacity/

(I only recently started using this process but finding it works very well for my audio.)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Pretty much what Trojan said should get the best out of it. One thing I would recommend doing is having a look at the audio with an eq spectrometer as when you are boosting the upper range frequencys of the human voice it can excentuate (sss..or shh...) sounds in a persons voice, which can be quite sharp/uncomfortable to a listener, if they're listening on headphones or on a loud sound system. Also if the person voice has a lot of whistles when they talk it can excentuate this to an uncomfortable level. Just something to look out for if you're doing a lot of boosting of the upper frequency range.

Advertisement