Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Engineer

Options
  • 02-02-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know any structural engineers that can help me and sign off the plans of an extension on a 3 bed house in Dublin 15?

Cheers,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Pm sent

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eoinymc wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know any structural engineers that can help me and sign off the plans of an extension on a 3 bed house in Dublin 15?

Cheers,

Eoin

Is the extension built?
    Did it require planning?
    Has a commencement notice been lodged?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭eoinymc

There is an extension there already which has planning...it has beeen there for more than 15 years.

We are just extending the extension. It doesn't need planning.

There is an extension there already which has planning...it has beeen there for more than 15 years.

We are just extending the extension. It doesn't need planning.

Are you 100% you are planning exempt?

I'll PM you the engineer I use anyway. You can get some prices and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭eoinymc

yep, according to architect and builder...

• Advertisement

yep, according to architect and builder...

Listen to the architect, ignore the builder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

You can extend without planning permission so long as the two extensions combined don't increase the floor area by more than 40 square meters, you keep at least 25 square meters of back yard and its to the rear. Otherwise you will need planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

If the combined floor area of the two extensions is bigger than 40 square meters you will need planning permission-unless the original extension was part of the original house build.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

unless the original extension was part of the original house build.

Then it's not an extension?

OP refer to this http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html ( type in 'Part 1
    Exempted Development')
    Some of the posts here are only giving half the story when advising on what is exempted development, best tonseek an onsite assessment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

You can extend without planning permission so long as the two extensions combined don't increase the floor area by more than 40 square meters, you keep at least 25 square meters of back yard and its to the rear. Otherwise you will need planning permission

So I can build a 10x4 meter extension at back of my house that was built in boom with planning got in 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

duckcfc wrote: »
    So I can build a 10x4 meter extension at back of my house that was built in boom with planning got in 2004.

Why was planning sought if it's exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

duckcfc wrote: »

As long as the whole thing is below a certain size (which I can't remember off hand)- there are a fair few other restrictions too- including distance to back of the site- height-windows ect ,ect-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Markcheese wrote: »
    As long as the whole thing is below a certain size (which I can't remember off hand)- there are a fair few other restrictions too- including distance to back of the site- height-windows ect ,ect-

I've a large site so no worries about distance to boundary and any windows will be small.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mise_me

Could someone PM the name of that Eng also please

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rob007

Also looking for a domestic structural engineer...

I'm doing a garden office project, and planning to incorporate a mezzanine floor and some corner glass (requiring a load bearing steel piece).

I met an architect this morning, and he mentioned to steel requirement etc.

Before I get too far with the design, I'd like to engage a structural engineer to look at the current idea (and foundation) and let me know if what I'm thinking is feasible. No report or certifying at this stage, just a verbal steer which I'm happy to pay for. And ideally this will then move towards a "proper" project requiring their input and certification.

I live in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

PM sent

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement