Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS Historic Maps

Options
  • 02-02-2015 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

On the historic map viewer I see descriptions of 3 historic maps
    historic 6"
    historic 6" B&W
    historic 25"

I don't see anything to tell me what dates they are? am I missing something obvious?

Also do you know if it is possible to print from the site?

many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.osi.ie/Products/Professional-Mapping/Historical-Mapping.aspx

Basically - 6" are 1829-1841, 25" are 1897-1913. The OSI themselves will know when each area was mapped, but you'd need to contact them.

You can't print more than a screenshot as they want you to buy the maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

You do not need to contact OSI to find out the year, you can do it yourself.

All you do is zoom in to the area you are looking at.
    Click 'Buy map'

A new window will pop up.
    Click 'A0 sheet with borders'

You can then see what year each sheet was surveyed.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kildarejohn

If you are interested in the 6" maps then try askaboutireland.ie for sharper definition than on OSI, also showing the land holdings for Griffiths Val. Unfortunately this site doesn't have a print facility either, but the screenshot function works fine. (not that I am recommending any breach of copyright!0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

hblock21 wrote: »
    You do not need to contact OSI to find out the year, you can do it yourself.

....etc.

Great info, thanks. Now, is there a way to 'lift' grid coordinates or LatiLong from those maps to input them on satnav? I have a few ruins I'd love to go search for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Great info, thanks. Now, is there a way to 'lift' grid coordinates or LatiLong from those maps to input them on satnav? I have a few ruins I'd love to go search for!

OSI have some tools for converting coordinates. Check the URL when you have the map centred on the location, and look for the two coordinates at the end - the two six digit numbers (e.g. ..../#V1,702653,625450,2,10). These are ITM (Irish Transverse Mercator) coordinates, the first is the 'Easting' coordinate, the second the 'Northing'. Copy these to the ITM converter section on this OSI page.. and convert.

The result at the top is ETRF89 in degrees minutes and seconds, which you can use on Google. You might need to decimalize for a GPS .. e.g. 52 + 22/60 + 15.54/3600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

shanew wrote: »
    OSI have some tools for converting coordinates. Check the URL when you have the map centred on the location, and look for the two coordinates at the end - the two six digit numbers (e.g. ..../#V1,702653,625450,2,10). These are ITM (Irish Transverse Mercator) coordinates, the first is the 'Easting' coordinate, the second the 'Northing'. Copy these to the ITM converter section on this OSI page.. and convert.

The result at the top is ETRF89 in degrees minutes and seconds, which you can use on Google. You might need to decimalize for a GPS .. e.g. 52 + 22/60 + 15.54/3600

This is brilliant. I know exactly where to go now to find old ancestral homes or at the very least the site. Thanks shane.

If you are interested in the 6" maps then try askaboutireland.ie for sharper definition than on OSI, also showing the land holdings for Griffiths Val. Unfortunately this site doesn't have a print facility either, but the screenshot function works fine. (not that I am recommending any breach of copyright!0
    mod9maple wrote: »
    This is brilliant. I know exactly where to go now to find old ancestral homes or at the very least the site. Thanks shane.

Just a word of warning to anyone using the Griffith Val'n maps on askaboutireland.ie to find ancestral home - I have found several places where the map on a-a-I is a later version of the Val'n than the version shown on the published pages.
    For example, on the Val'n schedule, Murphy's house might be no. 10 and Kelly's house 16; but the map on a-a-I could date from 50 years later when holdings were re-numbered, so on the map Murphy could be 16 and Kelly 10.

Just a word of warning to anyone using the Griffith Val'n maps on askaboutireland.ie to find ancestral home - I have found several places where the map on a-a-I is a later version of the Val'n than the version shown on the published pages.
    For example, on the Val'n schedule, Murphy's house might be no. 10 and Kelly's house 16; but the map on a-a-I could date from 50 years later when holdings were re-numbered, so on the map Murphy could be 16 and Kelly 10.

And is there anyway of knowing if the map is older on AAI? Comparing it to the 2 OS maps maybe?

And is there anyway of knowing if the map is older on AAI? Comparing it to the 2 OS maps maybe?

I am not an expert on this, but as I understand it the OS maps were surveyed in the 1840's; Griffith then used the OS maps to do the Valuation in 1850's. The OS maps, printed from copper plates, did not change for many years (50+). What the valuation people did was to hand draw the boundaries of holdings onto the OS maps, with a hand written reference number for each holding which matched the number in the printed Valuation Books.
    So to answer your question, no - AAI and the OSI website will both have the same background printed map; what is different is the handwritten property details.
    When boundaries & property ownership changed, the valuation office revised the hand drawn nos, on the printed maps.
    Don't know about other counties, but for Kildare the AAI maps are a very neat, clean copy with ref. nos in red in a "modern" shape; the original maps which match the Valuation Books would have had numbers in an italic script. Another proof that the Kildare maps on AAI are late copies is that for Naas the urban district council area is shown (dashed circle) and the UDC was not established until c.1900.
    I think only way to be sure of correct map is to visit Val'n Office where the original maps are still held.

The maps to go with the primary valuation are on FMP.ie (they were on Origins). They are black and white, on separate sheets, and it can be difficult to make out all the details. I understand that part of the reason for AskAboutIreland using the later maps they have is that they are colour and easier to read, and also stitched together in to a single browsable map.

• Advertisement

The maps to go with the primary valuation are on FMP.ie (they were on Origins). They are black and white, on separate sheets, and it can be difficult to make out all the details. I understand that part of the reason for AskAboutIreland using the later maps they have is that they are colour and easier to read, and also stitched together in to a single browsable map.

Didn't know they were now on FMP - I had used them on Origins some time ago. Has FMP got the town maps too?

Didn't know they were now on FMP - I had used them on Origins some time ago. Has FMP got the town maps too?

FMP.ie should have all the same Griffith's maps that were on Origins

At one stage Origins was free to access in the NLI, possibly also the NAI - not sure if it still is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks Shane, that's really very useful info. Will use it next weekend to walk off some of last weekend's Italian food!

The maps to go with the primary valuation are on FMP.ie (they were on Origins). .
    Just went into FMP but couldn't find maps - am I missing something obvious?

Just went into FMP but couldn't find maps - am I missing something obvious?

They're separate from the main Griffith's Valuation records. They're listed under 'Griffith's Survey Maps and Plans 1847-1864'. You'll find them in the 'A-Z'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's quite hard to find anything in FMP, I think.
    Unless you can remember the exact name it's recorded under, you can spend ages typing in guesses, or scrolling through the entire A-Z.
    And their categories for filing the various record sets are a disaster: I never remember whether prisons come under "institutions" or "law and courts".

Genealogy Forum Mod

They're separate from the main Griffith's Valuation records. They're listed under 'Griffith's Survey Maps and Plans 1847-1864'. You'll find them in the 'A-Z'.
    Thanks - could have been searching a long time! However, having found the maps I am disappointed - not nearly as good as on Origins site (for Kildare anyway). Several of the maps on FMP only have a few townlands filled in with the landholding ref. nos, the rest are just blank. On Origins for the same area there are multiple maps, which you access from "versions" selection box, and these have all the townland details.
    So I guess I will be downloading as much as possible from Origins before it disappears - message on site says available to "early 2015"

Advertisement