Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise needed on adoption

• 02-02-2015 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

We are foreigners, we have a boy 5 years old. myself and my husband is working full time permanent job, own a house. only thing due to some health reason i cant have another baby and our boy is asking us why he has no siblings while others have. even we feel bit quite at home with one boy. so we would like to adopt a child we dont know anything about irish law on adoption. we would like to know others journey, cost, waiting time etc. can anyone please guide us on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hi,
    Welcome to the adoption forum.
    Where are you hoping to adopt from?

Domestic adoptions that are not step parent adoptions are extremely rare in ireland.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/adoption_and_fostering/intercountry_adoption.html
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/adoption_and_fostering/adopting_a_child.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Domestic Adoption by non relatives is essentially non existent in Ireland.

So inter-country is essentially your only option.

You'll also find information from both the Adoption Board and the International Adoption Association, both have websites and contact details available, the IAA provides talks and support groups.

The international adoption process is very thorough and long process.
    It has changed since we wet through it but it took ten years from our first application to bringing our second daughter home, this was without a break in the process.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ojala

(Apologies for reviving this thread)

Why are domestic adoption by non-relatives uncommon in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I would imagine it's because there are very few babies put up for adoption in Ireland now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Because years ago single mothers gave up their babies for adoption - often forced to do so.

Nowadays this doesn't happen.

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Because years ago single mothers gave up their babies for adoption - often forced to do so.

They didn't merely give up their children for adoption.

Most of them were forced to relinquish their children.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement