Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentine's day idea for recently dating

Options
  • 02-02-2015 1:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I hope it’s OK to post something like this here, looking for a girls’ opinion. I’ve met a great girl on a dating site (msging since mid Dec) and we’ve gone on 2 dates over past 2 weekends. I think they went quite well. It would appear, to me at least, that she’d be open to continuing to see each other. We certainly aren’t “gone exclusive” or anything, nor have we discussed such issues as, well, it’s only very early days. I’m 28 she’s 30.

I’m conscious that Valentine’s day is on the horizon and I’m unsure how to approach it. I don’t want to weird her out/scare her off by being OTT nor do I want to underdo it and give off uninterested or thoughtless vibe.

Cards or flowers is usual but personally I feel giving a lovey-duvey-hearty card might be too much at this point and flowers is OTT imo (by then it’ll only have been 3 weeks since first meeting f2f). I'd consider a card if the next date (fingers crossed!) goes as well, but without the words "i love you" or "girlfriend" on it - that might make for discomfort and awkwardness.

On the most recent date (Sat) we topped it off by her suggesting to get hot chocolate in a place she likes. Twas nice, she drank it down twice as fast as I, so she’s obviously fond of the stuff!

It follows that my idea was to get her a nice hot chocolate gift set, preferably from that place if they have it. In my mind at least, it would be:
    a) not OTT or smothering,
    b) not silly expensive,
    c) practical and useful, and
    d) a thoughtful gesture as I know she likes HC.

We would, I hope, do some activity or have a bite out on the day/evening too. Causal and light hearted, nothing too stuffy or awkward.

What are opinions on the suitability of this? Is just the hot choc underdoing it or a bit cheapish do you think?

I don’t know whether she’s into the whole V-day thing, she might just see it as just commercial racket. But my gut feeling on her personality to date would tell me she’d be like a 3 to 4ish out of 5 for it! How would one go about subtly exploring her thoughts & expectations re V-day, or even if it’s entered her head at all? I'm not a big VD'er myself really but I'd hate to disappoint her. I'm not very experienced at dating, first date with her was only my second first date ever!

Tl;dr. Dating a girl with a couple of weeks. I want to do something appropriate for Valentines. She likes hot chocolate and thinking of getting her a gift set. Is this OK? Basically, I don’t want to come off like a twat!

Advertisement