Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Duke of Burgundy (Peter Strickland) - Your 50 Shades counter-programming

Options
  • 02-02-2015 12:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Due only days after a certain other S&M themed film, this film's release date is surely not coincidental.

The Duke of Burgundy is Strickland's follow-up to the excellent Berberian Sound Studio - and by all accounts is sounding just as impressive. Where that film channeled giallo, this pays homage to the hyper-stylised X-rated fare from the likes of Jess Franco. But with Strickland behind the camera, it definitely promises to be a weird, colourful and - most importantly - cine-literate treat.

Really looking forward to seeing it when it's released on February 20th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

The only Mr. Grey permitted to wet a female audiences panties with the implicit threat of his dominance is Mr. E. Edward Grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Will this be released on VOD and/or Bluray at the same time as cinema release? Not a hope my local cinemas will have something like this.

Can't wait to see it, didn't even watch the trailer or read much more than the synopsis, want to watch it with as little info as possible. Heard the lovely theme song by Cats Eyes who did the soundtrack, can't wait to hear the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Really looking forward to this. Even having enjoyed both Katalin Varga and Berberian Sound Studio I think Strickland has even better films in him.

It was released in the US on the 23 in both theaters and on VOD but I've been checking and still no sign of it on any of the VOD services I use. Was hoping to have seen it by now, would love to see it on a big screen but not a hope of that happening in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It is on skystore to rent for 10 euro which seems very steep. Is their any other alternatives online to watch it? (legal obviously!):P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

It's on Volta.ie for €8.99

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

I found this to be a real chore to sit through. I'm also wondering why does it merit an 18 rating? There is no nudity and the sex scenes (if they could be described as such) are not strong at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Excellent film. Was quite surprised that the film is in some senses more straightforward than expected. While there are some lovely, abstract sequences - one dream / nightmare sequence towards the end stands out, and serves as a pleasant visual assault - most of the running time is dedicated to a relationship study. And Strickland does a great job in that sense - it's a bittersweet romance, with relateable highs, lows, complications, challenges and indeed plenty of sweet, loving moments. The emotionally ambivalent final act is particularly effective - Strickland revisiting scenes and ideas with a noticeably different attitude, and ultimately
    returning an uneasy status quo
    . The all-female cast is a nice touch, allowing Strickland to explore the themes and characters in a purer way without getting bogged down with the gender dynamics and debates that might overwhelm a traditional look at a BDSM relationship.

Cinematically it's predictably a treat. Strickland manages to achieve a sensuous and luxurious aesthetic, but managing to avoid the sleazier side of the subject matter. That there's no nudity comes as a surprise, and while there are plenty of lingerie-clad scenes, the film manages to be sexy while retaining its class, which is an impressive feat. The soundtrack by Cat's Eyes is fabulously ethereal, noticeably different to Broadcast's work on Sound Studio but operating on a similar blend of nostalgic and contemporary. And the film's playful streak is perhaps its greatest asset. During the (gorgeously stylised) opening credits, there's a credit for 'Perfume by...', which sets the tone for plenty of oddball, deadpan jokes scattered throughout the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Strickland's purest, most focused film to date and an absolute delight to experience. Reminded me of a more sensual and less cerebral version of Certified Copy where the dynamics of the relationship and the roles they make for themselves are always in question. I found the film's openness (both towards its central relationship and its surreal imagery) very refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I just watched this tonight, and it's quite the contrast to the film I watched yesterday, Fifty Shades of Grey. Unlike that film, this was really incredible. It reminded me a lot of Mulholland Dr., my favourite film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Saw this a few months ago, got it on bluray recently and re-watched, and listened to the director's commentary.

Such a lovely film, I'd recommend this to everyone. You can't be complaining about the endless stream of remakes and reboots if you let films like this pass you by.

It's a very simple film, fun, erotic, a bit of relationship drama, great cinematography and an amazing soundtrack.

I have been addicted to the soundtrack since it was released back in February, even bought it on vinyl. Mostly classical sounds, harpsichord, flute, oboe, violins, acoustic guitar, with some synths. Very melancholy, romantic, nostalgic. Magnificent vocals by Rachel Zeffira, who also wrote most of the music. For anyone who's interested in hearing some music that surely helped inspire this soundtrack, check out Le Orme soundtrack. Another piece of music I found which sounds similar is Giuseppe De Luca - Dorian Gray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Watched this a few nights ago and it's still on my mind. Had me hypnotized from the opening credits. Stunning film.

Advertisement