Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I connect my turntable

Options
  • 02-02-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have a Record turntable with a USB cable and 2 jack plugs coming out of it.
    Can I connect this to a Philips DCM276 and play records through it.

It has a USB connector and I thought I could play the records through this connection, but I cannot get it to work.

Grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Without knowing the model of the turntable it's difficult to give an accurate answer. Turntables can use either a crystal or magnetic cartridge, both need to be amplified to some degree before they can be connected to an amplifier. Magnetic cartridges further require RIAA equalisation which evens out the frequency response prior to being amplified.

I've seen a few different "USB" turntables around and there's little consistency. Some provide the amplified signal which would work in your case while others don't and require the pre-amplifier I mentioned above. Best thing is to check the specifications of the device and see what the outputs are described as. If it says "Line Level" then the answer to your question is Yes it will work. If it says anything else then you might need a pre-amp.

If you can post the make/model of the turntable we could help you further with a more accurate answer.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

The turntable is a Tevion. Lidl job. If I have to change the turntable what one would work with the Philips DCM276?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I can't find a specific manual for the Lidl Tevion Turntable but any that I did find state that the RIAA equalisation is "built in" which to me means that the outputs are line level. So with the appropriate lead (RCA Phono <> 3.5mm stereo jack) it should work ! Don't get your hopes up on the sound quality though.

The USB connector works by connecting to a computer and using software like Audacity to record the output from the unit to .mp3 files for archiving.

Ken

Advertisement