Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear S22 Episode 2 (1st February)

Options
  • 01-02-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭

752398-f7cbe11e-5dbc-11e4-be3c-f12778a66112.jpg

This sounds more like a Christmas special or one of TG’s big, landscape-devouring road movies. The main event sees our tetchy trio heading for the wide open (and famously dusty) spaces of Australia’s Northern Territory. For transport, they’ve each got a grand tourer, the kind of sporty barge the super-rich use when they’re in a hurry.

For Clarkson that means a BMW M6 Gran Coupe, for Hammond a Bentley Continental GT, while May opts for the cheaper (and quicker) Nissan GT-R. As you’d expect, the main challenge the cars face is: how good are they at herding cattle? Meanwhile, back in the studio, there’s a visit from Hollywood star Kiefer Sutherland.

ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
    2/10. The presenters embark on a road trip across Australia's Northern Territory in fast, luxurious GT cars, with Jeremy Clarkson choosing a BMW M6 Gran Coupe, Richard Hammond picking a Bentley Continental GT V8 and James May opting for a Nissan GT-R. The trio set out on an adventure that takes in crocodile-infested rivers, a race around a vast opencast mine and an encounter with one of the world's longest lorries, concluding with an unusual challenge involving a farm, their cars and 4,000 cows. Plus, 24 star Kiefer Sutherland takes to the track in the Reasonably Priced Car.

Radio Times

Rate tonight's episode 42 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Above average
    33% 14 votes
    Average
    35% 15 votes
    Below average
    28% 12 votes
    Terrible
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sorry lads, completely forgot about tonight's episode, its repeated on BBC2 Monday night at 7.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honestly among the worst all episode "movies"; boring challenges, not enough nature to show off or funny banter...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Bit harsh. Had plenty of good moments. The reg plate "controversies" at the start. The landmines around the campsite. The braking test was actually interesting. I've been to a mine like that and so really enjoyed the idea of turning it into a racetrack. The stats on the farm were amazing - two hours to get up the front drive?!

It could have done with a bit more depth overall - there were no locals, for example, except for the very brief bit in the outback hotel. Maybe more nature shots as you say. I think it had the potential to be a far better two-hour special than the Patagonia special. But overall, quite enjoyable.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Looks like it was taped with the possibility of being a "Special" but decided to use the footage on an ordinary show.
    It was far better than the recent Patagonia special.
    I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

ya, why go all the way to oz for a regular episode seems a waste? thought they would make a xmas special out of it

must have been made since argentina as they made reference to the number plates

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

cdeb wrote: »
    Bit harsh. Had plenty of good moments. The reg plate "controversies" at the start. The landmines around the campsite. The braking test was actually interesting. I've been to a mine like that and so really enjoyed the idea of turning it into a racetrack. The stats on the farm were amazing - two hours to get up the front drive?!

It could have done with a bit more depth overall - there were no locals, for example, except for the very brief bit in the outback hotel. Maybe more nature shots as you say. I think it had the potential to be a far better two-hour special than the Patagonia special. But overall, quite enjoyable.
    Compare it to the New Orleans one, any of the African once or the truck one for example.

Buying of cars? Nope.
    Cars breaking down? Nope.
    Funny break test? Nope compared to the alligator river or starting in the hill with their stuff behind it.
    Getting own food? Yes but weak fishing jokes and no fish left in the griller vs. roadkill / cow and no moaning about the food from shorty.
    Rebuilding of cars? Nope (see New Orleans or their African adventures).

We had one race but the race while looking good in slow motion it did not compare with any of their other races (see Norwegian race vs. bob slade x2, climbing of mountain, cycle in town, Japanease speed train, Airplane vs. car, UK to Norway etc.), a few boring nature shots (it's flipping Australia and it had so much more possibilities) and lots of driving without incidents. Sorry but that's not quality Top Gear in my book; I want cheap **** cars bought breaking down, rebuilt and some faked drama to it all compared to "oh everything is fine" for 1h drive around... Heck even the Hovercraft episode was better than this (and that was weak in general); compare this to the "building a car boat" for example.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

ya, why go all the way to oz for a regular episode seems a waste? thought they would make a xmas special out of it

must have been made since argentina as they made reference to the number plates

Well they have gone to New Zealand for a regular episode in fairness.

Nody wrote: »
    Buying of cars? Nope.
    Cars breaking down? Nope.
    Funny break test? Nope compared to the alligator river or starting in the hill with their stuff behind it.
    Getting own food? Yes but weak fishing jokes and no fish left in the griller vs. roadkill / cow and no moaning about the food from shorty.
    Rebuilding of cars? Nope (see New Orleans or their African adventures).
    Most of the specials don't feature the buying of the cars. The US was the only one really. Vietnam had a bit. Bolivia made reference to Bolivian Autotrader.

For the rest - I guess a lot of the criticism of recent specials has been that they're cliched. The cars break down. They then modify them. Hammond gives out about food. And so forth. So here's a special where they don't revert to cliches - and there's still criticism. Guess you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

cdeb wrote: »
    Most of the specials don't feature the buying of the cars. The US was the only one really. Vietnam had a bit. Bolivia made reference to Bolivian Autotrader.
    They used to have a lot more buying of cars, they had the buy UK cars for own money, buy a porsche, buy a car (and insure it) for a new driver, buy cars for African adventure, buy a hatchback, buy a truck, buy demolition tanks from army surplus, buy a HVG truck etc. and those are the once coming to mind directly.
    For the rest - I guess a lot of the criticism of recent specials has been that they're cliched. The cars break down. They then modify them. Hammond gives out about food. And so forth. So here's a special where they don't revert to cliches - and there's still criticism. Guess you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    I can't recall complaining about them but honestly why would you watch Top Gear if it was not for that stuff? I mean if you want to see cars driving around or beautiful nature there are plenty of better shows; the whole point is the three stooges comedy part of it (at least to me).

They didn't cover buying the cars for either African adventure; they just turned up with them - same as for the Australian special last night. Ditto the trucks and the new driver feature. (They did show buying the cars for the vintage rally episode - but that involved a vintage car auction, which was different. And fun)

Not saying you were complaining about the cliches - I agree with you to an extent alright that it's part of the reason for watching. I don't agree that last night's was as boring as you made out - I thought it was good to see a bit of variety on the same format (and the specials format is excellent - at their best, they're genuinely superb travelogues, which I enjoy watching anyway). But I appreciate the points you're making alright (makes a change from vague "Top Gear is rubbish now - it used to be a car show" rants)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I thought it was very good, a proper roadtrip/challenge combination, not too much cocking about, but frivolous enough to be entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Bit weak on the challenges. The herding at the end was a dead loss. They could have had the drag race, brake test and race in a 15 minute segment instead of taking up the whole show with it. Entertaining nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I thought that was very entertaining especially the hill climb. Still relying heavily on scripted material though eg. the crocodile was probably planted and Hammond and Clarkson did know it was the Stig, not May doing the hill climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Yeah the hill climb part was good but I got bored seeing them driving constantly on straight dirt tracks, even the presenters looked bored after a while.

I'd love to see them axe Star In A Reasonably Priced Car, I fast forwarded it and it seemed very long this week. Thank God I didn't have to sit through it. Funny how they will ditch the news and test drive features but never SIARPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I noticed a picture of Alexis Sanchez sitting on the table at the start of the show. I take it something Chilean will feature on every show. Last week they wore a pin of the Chilean flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Top Gear has turned into the 3 Stooges on tour......but I still watch it's stupidly enjoyable

Advertisement