Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Spilliane

Options
  • 01-02-2015 4:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Is he obsessed with Cork? I think he is.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Hes a singer/ songwriter from Cork , who writes about Cork. Bit like how the Dubliners used to sing about Dublin.

Not a huge shocker in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Is he obsessed with Cork? I think he is.

not a big fan of Ballincollig though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I think he's wonderful. So he sings about what he knows - Cork City / Suburbs / Harbour - (and Killer Whales :D ). He has a great rapport with his audience when singing live. He's a good old story teller and I hope he continues penning his "localised lyrics" for years to come :) Looking forward to hearing him again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Eh he's awful, dunnes stores girl has to be the worst song ive ever heard.

Its not singing its more story telling, he cant play guitar either despite playing for some 30 years. Watch him play he has to look down for a few seconds to make sure he is hitting the right chord still.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

rob316 wrote: »

Its not singing its more story telling, he cant play guitar either despite playing for some 30 years. Watch him play he has to look down for a few seconds to make sure he is hitting the right chord still.
    I don't like his stuff and wouldn't cross the road to see him. Having said that, I really do like 'Dunnes Stores Girl'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

rob316 wrote: »

You pick his most basic song, one he wrote when someone said write a song about a dunnes store girl. It's a simple song people enjoyed at the time.

But songs like gortatagort or a song for Rory Gallagher are absolutely amazing. He's never gonna be huge, but he's vpcertainly a credit to Cork and a bright voice in a place that seems to like to bitch too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

He's alright but this wrecks my head

Actually the video isn't that bad it gives a bit of meaning to the song, listening to it on the radio is head wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You pick his most basic song, one he wrote when someone said write a song about a dunnes store girl. It's a simple song people enjoyed at the time.

But songs like gortatagort or a song for Rory Gallagher are absolutely amazing. He's never gonna be huge, but he's vpcertainly a credit to Cork and a bright voice in a place that seems to like to bitch too much.

Johnny don't go to Ballincollig is a good song but gets annoying after a couple of listens. Every song he has is just naming streets in cork too, fair dues to him though he has a following he's just not my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I first saw him as support for Bob Dylan years ago in Kilkenny and I thought he was very good. I wasn't familiar to his style and initially he came across very nervous but as it went it dawned on me that's just his quirky style.
    He came out with funny little one-liners like "fair play to me" in between songs :D

I'd have to pick 'Dance of the Cherry Trees' as my favourite (even though I admit to not knowing a lot more of his stuff).

Advertisement