Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for young drivers

Options
  • 31-01-2015 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I am an 18 year old male, have my provisional licence for 1 year and currently insured as a named driver on my parents car. I will have 1 year no-claims on my name next month, hopefully!

I wanted to buy a van but I have been told that I have to be a builder or a farmer to get insured on a commercial?

Its very hard to find the right car at the moment for someone like me, as insurance is expensive.

Could anyone give me any suggestions on how to get around the commercial vehicle issue? Or what would be a good car that would be cheap to insure?

Much appreciated,
    Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

I am an 18 year old male, have my provisional licence for 1 year and currently insured as a named driver on my parents car. I will have 1 year no-claims on my name next month, hopefully!

I wanted to buy a van but I have been told that I have to be a builder or a farmer to get insured on a commercial?

Its very hard to find the right car at the moment for someone like me, as insurance is expensive.

Could anyone give me any suggestions on how to get around the commercial vehicle issue? Or what would be a good car that would be cheap to insure?

Much appreciated,
    Martin

Commercial trade for use normally needed for commercial insurance. Ya can't just say 'my own use' as Ya gotta have some reason for van.. If car stick to corsa, polo etc..1 Ltr engine to keep insurance, tax and running cost low. As learner licence Ya e best get full licence 1st as ya can't drive unaccompanied as too much at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Much appreciated,
    Martin

Van insurance will prob be almost as expensive as car insurance and you'll have less providers to choose from. Also be aware that you won't have a 1 year no claims bonus, you'll have 1 year named driving experience which gives less of a discount. Your best bet is to get a small engines car, call a brokers to do the leg work of getting quotes for you and put a parent as a named driver as some companies like Liberty will reduce there price because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Van insurance will prob be almost as expensive as car insurance and you'll have less providers to choose from. Also be aware that you won't have a 1 year no claims bonus, you'll have 1 year named driving experience which gives less of a discount. Your best bet is to get a small engines car, call a brokers to do the leg work of getting quotes for you and put a parent as a named driver as some companies like Liberty will reduce there price because of this

Agree with all the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

and bear in mind you will have to tax the van privately anyway unless you use it solely for business

Advertisement