Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coordinating notice to landlord & purchase of house

Options
  • 31-01-2015 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Would anyone have any experience or advice to give on how much notice to give landlord so that it coordinates with closing sale of a house. I am part 4 tenant with 84 days notice to give as I have been here over 3 yrs according to legislation. Terrified of handing in notice too soon, having sale fall through and being homeless. Also trying to balance not paying rent and new mortgage at same time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Laserb wrote: »
    Would anyone have any experience or advice to give on how much notice to give landlord so that it coordinates with closing sale of a house. I am part 4 tenant with 84 days notice to give as I have been here over 3 yrs according to legislation. Terrified of handing in notice too soon, having sale fall through and being homeless. Also trying to balance not paying rent and new mortgage at same time.

Does the house need work or are you moving in as is? Once you've signed contracts there should be no reason for delay, but those are famous last words!

In our case we had renovations to do, gave notice 3 months before we left, moved even though house wasn't ready as we had to be out.

It might be worth talking to your landlord, if you've been there that long I wound imagine you have a good relationship so I'm sure if you needed to stay on longer you could negotiate that even after notice.

I rang our landlord once we had closed the sale, told him the situation, that we weren't giving notice but giving him a heads up, and that we would give full notice once we had more precise dates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Bear in mind, closings can often be delayed. My first purchase, closing was a week late. My second, a day. So make sure when you give notice, to give yourself some leeway. It's better to be paying a few days extra rent, than to be out on the street with all your belongings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Laserb wrote: »

Talk to your landlord. He's probably a reasonably guy despite some of the stuff on here.

He will likely agree to a lower notice because of the fact that it will only take him a week to get a new tennent

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

As people have said, talk to your landlord.

You only ever hear the bad stories but I've found most landlords to be sound.

One landlord gave us 50 euro in a card for a wedding present when we got married and moved on. Same landlord originally gave us the keys three days early, without extra rent, to take pressure off our move. We repaid as best we could through maintenance and taking care of small jobs ourselves

Our last landlord let us break a lease 2 months early when we we bought a house. We worked with them and found new tenants by word of mouth so they weren't inconvenienced.

Just ask, and they'll probably be flexible. Just return the favour then by being open to viewings, maybe vacate a little early to let them paint etc. If they've a general idea that you're leaving they'll most likely be flexible on final date, and if you ended up staying they keep good tenants. Not like they're going to advertise and select tenants 84 days in advance

Advertisement