Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadheads?

Options
  • 31-01-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi guys!

Got a quick question here, my son is doing a school project talk, and he decided to do it on archery. He asked for my help, and sure enough im going to help, with the plan being, to bring in one of my buddies kids 15lb compound, and some disassembled arrows into school while he does the project talk.
    Maybe let the kids try and draw the bow with no arrows, if the teacher allows it, something simple along them lines.

I suggested to him to talk about legality of hunting with a bow, and yeno, to let all the kids know, that that kinda stuff isnt allowed in ireland, and maybe show a few different types of arrow heads.

Now the question ; Would it be okay to purchase a broadhead, like the big fancy bladed ones for extra effect, only for demonstration purposes? Some parent will be present during the project talk, so not to worry, ill make sure nobody cuts themselves with it :P

Again, just to show what it is, how dangerous it is, what its used for, and why its not used.

Ive seen a few of those kind that im looking for on ebay, for extremely cheap, but not sure if they are okay to buy online, please help! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I don't know about the legality. I'd suggest a picture of a broadhead. Cheaper. :)

Although, given the squeamishness of people about hunting it's a subject I'd skirt over.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vladpills

Hi greysides, thanks for the quick response!

A picture is always an option, but yeno, the kid has a hype about it, and considering ill bring in the bow and arrows for him, he ofcourse would like the whole "shabang" to finish the project off with something "dangerous" like a broadhead :P
    I at the start was also thinking of a picture to go with, but its kids, a picture is a picture to them, and i also think its a very good idea, to show one in person, to promote how dangerous they really are. Maybe itll teach a few of the parents something!

Thank you again for your opinion :)

If anyone else has any info about the broadheads, any info will be handy! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

No need to import them, they're available in Mayo. Take a look at Flybow. Flybowshop.eu I think.
    You should find them under Arrow Building, Points.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

GC, I was fixing the URL you gave while you doing so too so I've added the link. I must update the link on the info thread.

He has improved that website a lot. Looks like a good shop for the traditional archer.

I see he has the Masters of the Barebow videos listed. That's a great series of videos, I have them all. Would be useful to any barebow archer, longbow or FITA recurve.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vladpills

Thanks for that GC and greysides! Ive had a look on that website, and 30 quid seems a bit pricey for something thatll never get used except for a 40 minute project.
    Thats the reason i wanted to import them....i can order 1 from china, for 2 quid :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

I got a set of six on eBay for 39euros but they were awful so beware

Advertisement