Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Accommodation - normal arrangements?

Options
  • 31-01-2015 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

When renting a room in a house share, what is it customary to expect in thehe follwoing areas please?

- bed clothes, does each individual supply own or is that part of the room

- equipment such as in-room televisions

- pots, pans, delf etc - supplied by house or does each have his/her own?

- anything else you can think of?

TTFN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

share_bear wrote: »
    Hi,

When renting a room in a house share, what is it customary to expect in thehe follwoing areas please?

- bed clothes, does each individual supply own or is that part of the room

- equipment such as in-room televisions

- pots, pans, delf etc - supplied by house or does each have his/her own?

- anything else you can think of?

TTFN
    bed clothes - get your own
    TV in room - usually one supplied in the shared sitting room, unless otherwise stated.

pots, pans, delft - most have this to share although check when viewing. Might be better to get some of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭share_bear

bjork wrote: »
    bed clothes - get your own
    TV in room - usually one supplied in the shared sitting room, unless otherwise stated.

pots, pans, delft - most have this to share although check when viewing. Might be better to get some of your own.

What do you think of a place that has no shared sitting room because it has been made into a bedroom, but each room has an aerial point and a satelite point and wall-bracket in each room, but no TV supplied...

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If this is going back to you renting out your house, as an owner occupier you should have everything already in place.

If you are renting the entire property as a rental as a professional landlord you have minimum obligations to meet anything over and above that you don't have to supply but if you do, you are responsible for them if they need to be replaced. A quick Google will bring that up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

What do you think of a place that has no shared sitting room because it has been made into a bedroom, but each room has an aerial point and a satelite point and wall-bracket in each room, but no TV supplied...

I've never lived in shared accommodation that had TVs or bed clothes provided. The no sitting room wouldn't bother me but I could see how it would bother some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

A TV would only very very rarely be provided in a bedroom.

• Advertisement

Honestly - No, that is no more than a bedsit. Maybe others would like it but not for me,very unsociable. You'll end up living in your bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

MouseTail wrote: »
    A TV would only very very rarely be provided in a bedroom.

Landlords are under no obligation to provide TVs anywhere. I provided one on day 1, but if it breaks down I'm not replacing it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If there is no shared living room- then having tvs in the individual bedrooms might make more sense. It may be an issue particularly in shared accommodation- not having a living room though- a living room would usually be a parking area for relaxing while you're waiting for the kitchen- it would not be usual to expect everyone to hang around the kitchen as the only communal living space. If this is your own house- and you're proposing to live there too- as a prospective 'tenant' I'd have even more issues.

As for the tv or lack of one- if there is no communal one- I'd make some sort of an effort to supply something in each of the bedrooms. More importantly though in this day and age- is internet- if you are confining everyone to their bedrooms- presumably you're supply a reasonably good wired connection to the bedrooms (ideally gigabit connections to the house router on a decent unlimited package........)........ If you have students in the rooms- they will *need* internet access- and reasonable access too- not a crummy 3G connection from their phone as a shared hotspot lark........ You can bet a few of them are probably gamers too..........

Converting the living room into a bedroom does smack of some sort of desperation.

Other things to think of- where is the property? Are you going to be needlessly antagonising the few potential 'tenants' by limiting the accommodation in this manner.

Normally people living in shared accommodation do not 'live' in the living room- but it would be normal for everyone to spend some time there at some stage during the day- even if its only looking at the morning news while they have a bowl of cereal or a coffee in the morning..........

I just don't really 'get' why you'd convert the living room like this. If you were next door to DCU or UCD- and had a captive audience- and were willing to lower the rent in recognition of the fact that you were stacking the house like battery hens- then maybe- otherwise- nope........

Another thing- you might like to check building regs. Its entirely possible that a house may be non-compliant, if you go ahead with this conversion (which would have all manner of impacts- not least on its insurance etc.) Also- you may need a fire certificate if you go down this road...........

What you're suggesting smacks of some sort of desperation...........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Also- isn't your house somewhere semi rural?
    How are you hoping to get people to stay- at all- without pulling a stunt like this too?

For the record- as I have said to you several times before- you are not a landlord- and your housemates are not tenants- if you insist that you are living in the property- regardless of whether or not you are actually living there or not. You are opening yourself to a hell of a lot of trouble- it only takes one complaint to Revenue- from one disgruntled 'tenant' and you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Its not a bedsit. There would still be a common large kitchen diner, and having the extra bedroom would allow me to seriously undercut the going rate for rooms in my area (right on Dublin County Line) as well as have lower bills per person.One room is ensuite, another next to main bathroom, and former living room is next to downstairs wc. I take the box bedroom for myself only.

• Advertisement

Its not a bedsit. There would still be a common large kitchen diner, and having the extra bedroom would allow me to seriously undercut the going rate for rooms in my area (right on Dublin County Line) as well as have lower bills per person.One room is ensuite, another next to main bathroom, and former living room is next to downstairs wc. I take the box bedroom for myself only.

So you expect people to eat their meals and then retire to their rooms for the rest of the time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't know OP. It doesn't sound very attractive to me.

You'll be living in box room with a shared bathroom and kitchen. Doesn't sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Share_bear is your house is in meath....stamullen?
    I don't know who exactly you are hoping to get to move into a house share with no sitting room and live with the owner occupier in that location. Think your own quality of homelife living in your box room?

Millem wrote: »
    I don't know who exactly you are hoping to get to move into a house share with no sitting room and live with the owner occupier in that location. Think your own quality of homelife living in your box room?

Ah Millem, Share_bear isn't planning on actually having a home life there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Millem wrote: »

Ah jaysis who's going out to Stamullen to live like that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The thing about a house share is that it's your house but it's the lodgers ' home. What you are offering OP does not fit my definition of a home. The others are right, it sounds more like a bedsit but with none of the perks of a bedsit (private bathroom, solo living).

And if you are not planning to live there and abuse the rent a room scheme, then that really would make me not trust you.

OP, I don't care if you provide a tv and a Nespresso Coffee machine in every bedroom, there is no way I am moving out to Stamullen to live in what is essentially a bedsit, WITH the added nuisance of bumping into three other people in the kitchen.

IF and it's a big IF, I am moving to Stamullen (miles away from Dublin!!!!) I want a big 4/5 bedroom house with an island kitchen and a big fabulous garden to myself.

What you are describing is only attractive if it is right in the centre of a city/Dublin. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

You'd have to massively lower the rent to make that attractive. Honestly it sounds awful I would never rent in that kind of situation.

Would it be possible to turn the ensuite and the down stairs bathrooms in to extra bedrooms?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Even from a purely financial perspective I think you would be better not renting the sitting room. The amount less you will have to charge to convince people to stay there for firstly not having a sitting room and secondly having that many people in what I'm guessing isn't that big a house will probably mean you really aren't much better off renting the extra room.

Also the standard of tenant that would be willing to live in that kind of setup would likely not be the most caring of the house. Thats not to say everyone paying low rent doesn't care about house but it is definitely more likely.

The only time I've seen setups like that is for student accommodation where people don't really care that much.

Personally I wouldn't even use the sitting room in shared accommodation much, but it is more the fact of trying to squeeze 4 people into small house, all trying to share, cooking, washing and bathroom facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,684 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was thinking about this overnight.

Even though you might undercut the other rental options in the area, you will get the tenants who are most cost-conscious. These are the folks who are most likely to not have any financial buffer and thus skip rent payments if something goes wrong. I think that on average, you may find yourself worse off when youi count up the effect of 1) more frequent tenant changes, 2) extra chairs etc for individual rooms and 3) having the least financially stable tenants.

Funilly enough, an alternative plan of renting the ensuite toa couple for a much higher rent, and then just one other room, seems to be generating sufficient interest when advertised.

Not huge interest, but enough.

Advertisement