Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosmeen, Kells, Co. Meath

Options
  • 31-01-2015 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey all,

just wonderin if anyone here lives in the Rosmeen townland, and knows what broadband options there are.

I'm currently in the process of buying a house there and unfortunately Broadband availability is an absolute must based on my job.

I "believe" there is fiber down on the end of the road (i.e. on the Oristown road), and I also understand Net1.ie cover the area.

Net1 costs are pretty high (i.e. 8Mb connection costing €82/month!! with a 200Gb limit!!!).
    There's an eircom line to the house, however, I do note that it's not even along the poles the whole way! it's hanging off the poles into the ditch... (and the grade of cable drops off dramatically from my closest neighbours to the house). I suspect IF I can get eircom bogband, it'd be no more than 2Mbps... and extremely flakey.

The options I have are;
    - Net1, but 8Mb isn't sufficient.
    - Find someone down the end of the road with fibre, pay their connections, and pipe the connection to my house with radio links.
    - the biggest concern I have.. is the house has a bi-directional satellite mounted... meaning this was the option the previous tenants went with at some point in the past... I don't fancy the latency...

The obvious answer here is to ask the neighbours, but until my offer is accepted, I don't want to go down that avenue.

So just wondering if I can get a gauge on what's what.

Cheers!
    GilbyDettori

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If broadband is a must then surely you buy a house that you know has or can get broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gilby Dettori

awesome. v helpful thanks :)

yes broadband is an absolute must. there are options with Net1, which are extremely expensive for what you get.
    I'm trying to get a feel for what levels of access there is around, so I can figure out if I go down the pay a neighbor approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I believe the nearest VDSL (fibre) cabinet to you would be the one at the entrance to Headfort. I'm not sure how far away you are from this location but bear in mind that VDSL speeds drop off rapidly with distance. If you were to ask a neighbour to share a connection they would most likely be connected to this cab, ideally as close as possible.

To be honest you would need to find a very accommodating neighbour to do this for you. They would have to have a roof mounted antenna installed and you would need perfect line of sight to their house.

Being realistic Net1 may be your best option.

@Navi - thanks for the useful info. It's good to know where the nearest fibre cab is anyhow.

Of course, from looking at Net1 site, I now see their network capacity is max'd out - and only doing fibre services themselves for now until March.

Must reach out to some buddies in Voda to find out what their plans are for the fibre rollout.

I'll update the thread with progress over the coming weeks/months for anyone else that's the lookout.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

No problem.

• Advertisement

so to close this down.

went sale agreed.. then found out the house was pretty much in the middle of a proposed Wind Farm. Not just any wind farm, the Emlagh one, which is to be the largest in the country.

The turbines were only 510m away from the house. so pulled out of the sale, considering the real estate agent (who lived in the area) "failed" to mention the fact that there was a wind farm being built.... pretty unprofessional imo.

so that's that, now living in a nicer area, with no wind turbines :)

All the best,
    GD.

Advertisement