Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Fixed Term Lease/Tricky Letting Agent

Options
  • 31-01-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, I am at the end of a fixed term contract and have chosen not to renew it. I am the only name on the lease and there is one other girl living with me who wishes to take on a new lease when I leave. I gave verbal and written notice to the letting agent managing the apartment (1 month) they have not acknowledged that. I have also emailed regarding property inspection and return of the deposit and they have not replied. I cannot get through to the lady who deals with this property on the phone - she always appears to the out of the office. I am concerned about my deposit being returned to me. I understand they legally have to return it, however I don't want to wait for months and get PRTB involved as I simply cannot afford to wait that long. My rent for the final month is due now. I had always intended on paying it and it is my obligation to, I am finding their lack of response to me a little confusing. I am considering writing to them advising that since they have failed to acknowledge my moving out or my queries that they can use my depost in lieu of my last months rent. I know this is not ideal but I cannot afford to be out of pocket for too long. By writing to them and advising them of my intentions does it mean that they cannot take legal action against me? The apartment is in perfect condition by the way. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi op, nobody here would be allowed to say do what you are thinking but that is up to you.

I would say they would get back to you pretty quick if they notice you haven't paid but factoring all costs and that it probably wouldn't be worth their while chasing you for the 1 month.

I wouldn't leave too much of a paper trail apart from what you have done already and even send a letter outlining you are leaving and looking for fast return of deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Witholding rent is illegal. A deposit is a deposit and cannot be used as rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 misskacey

Thanks for the advice punisher5112, I am concerned that they are completely ignoring me. I'll play it day by day. Hopefully it all works out! Their behaviour is odd, not very professional on their part! Athtransa, you are not telling me anything that I don't already know. A deposit can actually be used to cover unpaid rent. I am trying to play by the rules but when someone ignores me, it tends to make me question my trust in them. Thanks for your input though :)

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Pay your rent in full and if they do not return your deposit on departure lodge a claim with the prtb.

If you do not pay your rent you are just as unprofessional as the agents you are criticising.

Mod Note

Your OP is likely to get others infracted as we do not allow discussion on illegal actions nor do we permit posters to advocate breaking the law or to provide legally dubious 'work arounds'.

Thank you, I'm not trying to get anybody in trouble here. I'm just unsure on what to do. I just want to be treated fairly by them, so far that is not happening and I have heard too many horror stories. PRTB claims can go on for a very long time. Thanks for you advice though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You could offer to pay the rent to the letting agent in person, either at her place of business or at the apartment.

That's not a bad idea P.Breathnach. I never thought of that! I will leave that message with her on Monday. At least then we can get everything boxed off. Thanks for that :)

Advertisement