Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreskin back or not?

• 31-01-2015 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Howdy all,

I tried searching for similar threads but couldn't find anything.

I went to get a routine STI check recently and the doctor said I should keep my foreskin pulled back as its more hygienic. I'm 32 and never had any problems with hygien down there, I always pulled it back and washed it everyday etc

Just wondering what's the general consensus and what do ye guys do? I'm happy with it forward and don't really want to change.
    Cheers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Keep it back all the time? *wince*. That sounds all sorts of odd to me and a doctor told you this? How odd*. :confused: It's "designed" to be forward until required and if you're washing under the bonnet on a daily basis then the hygiene aspect is covered.

*Unless the doctor comes from a culture that circumcises at birth and that's his/her cultural beliefs sneaking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Agree with Wibbs.

Wincing at the thought of it...was it a real doc? :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Not a chance could /would i leave it back all the time, too uncomfortable, I broke the banjo string years ago and ever since,cleaning it is dead easy,I question that doctors religious beliefs with a comment like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

KC161 wrote: »
    Not a chance could /would i leave it back all the time, too uncomfortable, I broke the banjo string years ago and ever since,cleaning it is dead easy,I question that doctors religious beliefs with a comment like that

Question his religious beliefs? I'd question that he is a real doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

Sweet Jesus. Wibbs is right. Its designed to be stored all neat and tidy until its needed. Its cosy and happy in there. Leave it be.

That too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

How would one 'keep it back'? :confused:

Surely walking around, sitting down etc... would cause it to roll forward within a few minutes..

I've never understood the hygiene argument when it comes to foreskins. It takes like five seconds to clean in the shower.

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Obvouisly not going to say his name here but he's a well known doctor whose a genito-urinary physician (I actually got his name from recommendations on Boards.ie!).

I've googled this and a lot of people seem to do it and have done for years. They say it's sensitive walking around for a while but the gland toughens up and drys like a circumcised penis lol. I tried it for last 24hrs but I've decided f#%k this, I've never had any problems and always hygenic down there.

Was just wondering was I the only one with it all tucked away nicely and obviously wasn't gonna ask the lads at the bar tonight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Obvouisly not going to say his name here but he's a well known doctor whose a genito-urinary physician (I actually got his name from recommendations on Boards.ie!).

I've googled this and a lot of people seem to do it and have done for years. They say it's sensitive walking around for a while but the gland toughens up and drys like a circumcised penis lol. I tried it for last 24hrs but I've decided f#%k this, I've never had any problems and always hygenic down there.

Was just wondering was I the only one with it all tucked away nicely and obviously wasn't gonna ask the lads at the bar tonight lol

I'm sorry,I don't understand how you are keeping the foreskin rolled back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

And lose all (most) sensitivity? !?

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm sorry,I don't understand how you are keeping the foreskin rolled back?

Same, I'd have to wrap tape around it to keep it back while moving about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sounds like the OP needs another doctor.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If he is then IMHO he should be reported for pushing daft non medical and unscientific "advice". And no way in hell would I go to someone like that if I needed actual help with a penis problem. If that's what passes for expert knowledge then no wonder the go to procedure for any foreskin issue is to lop it off. When you go to a doctor you do not expect to hear bro science that's for sure. Seriously I'd lodge a complaint about that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wibbs wrote: »
    If he is then IMHO he should be reported for pushing daft non medical and unscientific "advice". And no way in hell would I go to someone like that if I needed actual help with a penis problem. If that's what passes for expert knowledge then no wonder the go to procedure for any foreskin issue is to lop it off. When you go to a doctor you do not expect to hear bro science that's for sure. Seriously I'd lodge a complaint about that.

It's hard enough as it is to tell someone about these issues without getting guff like this in response. Some of the stories on the depression megathread are just unbelieveable.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Guys I'm just telling you what he said, I just went for a routine STI check which I'm sure he'll be able to handle. I don't need another doctor as my family GP is just fine thanks.

Like I said, I googled it and there are guys that had done this, but it's not for me.

Thanks for the responses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've googled this and a lot of people seem to do it and have done for years. They say it's sensitive walking around for a while but the gland toughens up and drys like a circumcised penis lol.

If this happens then they may as well just be circumcised.That doctor sounds like an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

That sounds a bit uncomfortable to say the least.

Surely nobody would call themself a doctor when they weren't Dr. Turk? :pac:

Like I said, I googled it and there are guys that had done this,
    I'm sure there are C, but it's more of a fetish thing going on. It wouldn't be a medical thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

How are they able to keep it back the whole time though?

Never heard of this before, tried walking around for a few minutes there with it back, very uncomfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Howdy all,

I tried searching for similar threads but couldn't find anything.

I went to get a routine STI check recently and the doctor said I should keep my foreskin pulled back as its more hygienic. I'm 32 and never had any problems with hygien down there, I always pulled it back and washed it everyday etc

Just wondering what's the general consensus and what do ye guys do? I'm happy with it forward and don't really want to change.
    Cheers.
    Sound like you were given some pretty poor medical advice.
    It's poor form by a doctor to perpetuate the myth that the foreskin is nothing but an irrelevant piece of skin.
    It's purpose should really be explained in sex education classes.

Really don't understand the hygiene reason either.
    How much smegma can possibly be created, that between daily showers that you start thinking "I'll have to retract/remove the foreskin permanently to stop this".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

When I first started going out with mrsTeal (nurse - although not sexual health), she gave me a quite uncomfortable explanation about why you should always tuck him back in. Apparently, if it's permanently/long term retracted the skin can lose it's flexibilty and can lead to a condition that ends up cutting off blood supply to the head - then you need a snip snip. She did give me some medical terms for such things at the time, all I heard was "snip" and quickly resolved to do as I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Sounds painful.

I'll keep it the way it was meant to be, to protect the sensitive glands of the penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Sounds like the op might have a tight foreskin(phimosis) and maybe the doctor was giving him some advice on how to stretch it?

Anyone here ever get an adult circumcision, I couldn't imagine life without a foreskin, all I can think of is pain

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

KC161 wrote: »
    Anyone here ever get an adult circumcision, I couldn't imagine life without a foreskin, all I can think of is pain

KC161 - there's a lengthy thread about it here.

I had a neo-natal circumcision. Have hated it since childhood. Now happily restored by non surgical means.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭peter_dublin

Iderown wrote: »
    KC161 - I had a neo-natal circumcision. Have hated it since childhood. Now happily restored by non surgical means.

Playdough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭skallywag

...tried walking around for a few minutes there with it back, very uncomfortable!

Now that's going that extra mile to contribute to the thread, fair play to you :)