Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My landlord keeping some of my deposit

Options
  • 31-01-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello

I moved out a few weeks ago from a house I was renting.
    My landlord returned some of my deposit and she gave me a break down of why money was taken from my deposit.
    I have some concerns over the "costs" of some of the charges.
    Am I entitled to get receipts from her?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Of course. You can also take her to the Small Claims Court if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You can't take her to the small claims court.

You're entitled to invoices for every cent of the money withheld, and money cannot be withheld for wear and tear. If you dispute the charges, you can lodge a dispute with the PRTB.

It may help people advise you on what to do if you detail what she's keeping, and her reasoms for the money witheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TrippingOver

Ok , the items on the list needed to be fixed, but I was wondering about the cost of some.

I had to get a socket fixed that blew and I paid for the repair directly. I said this to the landlord. She said I should has made her aware that it was broken and she would of resolved it. I couldn't find a receipt for the work but she reimbursed me anyway in the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Did you break the items that need fixing?

Tbh, if she reimbursed you after you paid for a repair to a socket, she sounds like a fairly decent landlord.

If you caused the damage, you're gonna have to pay. You're entitled to receipts, so if you dispute the actual cost of repairs, you can go to the prtb

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TrippingOver

in terms of the prtb....do they have any power? do they generally favour the landlord?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

in terms of the prtb....do they have any power? do they generally favour the landlord?

If anything they favour the tenant (despite what you might imagine).
    A landlord may only deduct from a deposit for any repairs over and above normal wear and tear. If you bring a dispute to the PRTB- the burden of proof is with the landlord to show that the deductions were legitimate and fair.

By the way- a landlord is not entitled to claim anything for work they themselves do- only work carried out by unrelated third parties.

The PRTB are generally viewed as fair by both tenants and landlords- however, they are incredibly slow- and this lack of pace is often abused, moreso by tenants than by landlords.

Details of all their rulings are published- and available on the internet- it is not in a landlord's interests to have spurious findings upheld against them- it'll make any future tenants think twice.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

professore wrote: »
    Of course. You can also take her to the Small Claims Court if needs be.

At least once every other day I see this wrong advice on this forum. SCC is not for landlord/tenant disputes.

Advertisement