Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange contact via Ancestry

Options
  • 31-01-2015 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I was contacted by someone who said they had the same people in their tree as me. I replied, without giving much information, and received no reply. I have contacted them once more but again, no reply. Don't know what to think, can't see what they gained from the contact. They have been logging in every day. Anyone had similar experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That is weird. I generally find if people have gone to the bother of signing up to Ancestry, they're keen to make contact. I've only had non-replies from people who hadn't logged in in a while - presumably sub ran out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There are people (like me) who busy themselves with genealogy for a while, then leave things alone for another while before getting back to their project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This person is logged in every day so I would assume that they have received my messages. The least I expected was a thank you for my reply. At least no information has passed between us so will just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Jellybaby

Your post reminded me to check my account to see if I'd replied to all my messages and guess what there is one that I originally contacted and who has replied to me twice, in my head I had replied but in reality I hadn't...

Tomorrow I will reply!!!

I've done this a few times, between emails, ancestry, ftdna and all the other forums I'm on, there are some that get lost even though I would have initiated contact!

Louise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

dido2 wrote: »

Jellybaby I've done this a few times, between emails, ancestry, ftdna and all the other forums I'm on, there are some that get lost even though I would have initiated contact!

Yeah I'm the same. Between all the different boards, genealogy websites and social media pages it's hard to remember them all along with all the messages one does send to people. I've taken now to keeping a little palm sized notebook (few cents in the post office) with a page devoted to each contact.

• Advertisement

It can get very confusing. I've had several contacts from all branches of the tree and it's hard to remember which side of the family they are on until I check back through the messages. Anyway still nothing from my mystery 'cousin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Jellybaby Now I'm wondering if your mystery cousin is me!!!!

Anyhow what I have noticed a lot and it drives me a bit mad is ancestrys messaging system, I've tried loads of times since yesterday to login and reply to my message and I can't!

I've taken to always adding my email to any messages I send in the last year or so because I've also seen that if you don't have a subscription you can read messages but you can't reply to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think just recently Ancestry introduced a new messaging system and they may be experiencing a few teething problems as I've had a few minor issues too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

So there might be messages to me which I haven't received as yet. Can't do much about it anyway. I only give my email address when I've confirmed a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

I've had some great contacts on Ancestry, distant cousins willing to share information. But I've had a few strange ones as well. People who are very anxious to get access to my tree (I keep it private) but aren't so willing to let me see their tree even though they contacted me. I particularly find that with the American side of my tree.

• Advertisement

Mine is private too, mainly because some of the family wouldn't want me to have it public even though some cousins have done so, I don't want to get the blame for any weirdos grabbing our granny's life story! :D

Advertisement